Connecting MP3 player/Napster to Go

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Taltos, Nov 11, 2006.

1. Taltos

Taltos Bit poster

Hi, can anyone help with the following issue?

I have Windows XP installed on the lastest version of Parallel (a fully licensed copy).

When I have installed Napster, the relevant drivers for the Creative Zen Micro and try to connect the player ...

Windows XP under Parallels works fine
    Napster runs, connects to the Napster servers and logs in OK.

When I connect the Zen Micro, Windows asks which action you want to take; sync music with Windows Media Player, sync Music with Napster, Open as folder, Take no action.

If I 'Open as folder', or 'Take no action' - no problems, it is handled correctly, i.e. I can browse the device if I need to. However, if I try to sync music, then the program crashes, blue screen etc., with a message about "BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER".

Is there a different driver I could be using or is this part of the ongoing and inherent problems with poor USB support within Parallels? Has anyone had this or a similar problem and have you seen a solution? Is it a difficulty caused by the PlayForSure copyright protection protocol?

It may be a relatively trivial problem, but Napster is the one package that I really wanted access to on my Mac machine, it means I can ditch my (aging) PC! Fortunately there are no problems with using BootCamp, however I multi-task when I'm using my Mac, so don't want to be forced into using BC with lot of switching back and forth.

I'm pleased that Parallels handles the crash well and automatically reboots windows, and have been happy with most other aspects of the software - lot of things seem to work, sometimes slowly but this has improved. However without fixing this, I'm looking very hopefully towards VMWare with proper support for USB peripherals. I've read some vague promises of this being looked at, but nothing that gives me any confidence since better USB support has been as issue from the start and as yet we still only have partial USB 1.1 support so far.

Hope someone out there has some ideas,

Taltos.

N.B. Using a 1.83 Mac Book Pro with 1.5Gb of memory, VM has 700MB, latest version of all software.

2. Rocksand

Rocksand Bit poster

Me too

I have had the same problem, only I am trying to use Yahoo! Music Unlimited to Go instead of Napster. That is the only reason I bought Parallels in the first place, and it will not detect my mp3 player. Windows comes up and asks me what I want to do, but Yahoo or Windows Media Player will not recognize my player. I have tried everything. If you figure out a way to make it work, please let me know! I have spent countless hours trying to figure it out!

Rocksand