Installing Ubuntu Studio on MBP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mikev, May 12, 2007.

1. mikev

mikev Bit poster

the installation goes fine until i am prompted to detect and mount cd-rom

i get this:

[​IMG]

no idea what to do from here. i've tried a few other options and to skip it all together, but this appears to be an important part of the installation

does anyone know the problem?

2. mpdan

mpdan Junior Member

It appears that if you say no, it'll give you a list of drivers to choose from... Is that right?

3. mikev

mikev Bit poster

if i say no i'm prompted a window asking if i want to manually select a cd-rom module + device.

if i say no, i can select from a list of modules:
    • none
    • cdrom
    • gscd
    • isp16
    • mcdx
    • optcd
    • sjcd
    • sonycd535

4. drone-01

drone-01 Bit poster

I ran into this too. But then found an article here and within it, it states "Choose Solaris as the OS Type: and Other Solaris as the OS Version:. No, that’s not a mistake. At the time of this writing, Parallels build 3188 has some issues when it comes to installing Ubuntu 7.04. Selecting Solaris as the OS will help you get around those issues, and in a later step you’ll be changing this setting anyway."

I did this and I no longer have the CD Rom problem. Im not sure about further issues... still installing it now.

5. KeatonTech

KeatonTech Bit poster

Installed fine, fails to boot!

Hey, I have big, very discouraging problem. I installed Ubuntu Studio as solaris just fine (except for it hogging all of my processor power and still taking 2 hours), no errors or anything. I went to restart, it seemed to be doing something for about a minute, and then it just gave me a black screen, I waited for more than 5 minutes before giving up. I then went into the grub menu and selecting the Generic Option. I ended up getting this message:
    [​IMG]
    After a few more minutes I had this:
    [​IMG]
    The recovery modes come up with even more errors before failing.

Is there any way to fix this, preferably without re-installing?

I have a 17in. Intel Core Duo iMac with a Gig and a half of RAM. The partition was given 552mb of ram and 31000mb hd space.

Thanks -Keaton

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  6. simonh

simonh Bit poster

Have you remembered to change the guest type back to linux after completing the install? You should only stet it to Solaris for the install, and set it to linux and the correct kernel version before rebooting.

7. KeatonTech

KeatonTech Bit poster

Good idea, but...

Well, I HAD forgotten to do that, but it doesn't seem to be the problem anyway. I tried every single type of linux, and got nothing. Upon closer inspection I found that before the screen went blank it came up with this error:

Code:
    ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
    Any other ideas?

8. KeatonTech

KeatonTech Bit poster

Never mind, I let it sit for awhile and it booted right up! Thanks simonh!

9. mmika

mmika Pro

One more thing! We found an inconsistence with Ubuntu and released build 3188. unfortunately, there is no workaround to fix this without recompiling ubuntu kernel or using another driver.
    So, access to CDROM causes an timeout, but this timeout somehow brakes whole guest OS. This inconsistence has already fixed. Wait a bit for new version or update.
    Thank you.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  10. fbronner

fbronner Pro

In the meantime, either point the CDROM to an ISO file or disconnect the cdrom altogether.

That will make it work correctly

11. mmika

mmika Pro

fbronner it works, untill guest will send command "request sense". After that ata timeout occured.