beta 6 networking problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by johnnykrisma, Apr 29, 2006.

1. chad_downbeat

chad_downbeat Bit poster

(Video Controller issue too)

MBP 2Ghz/2Gb -- W2k Pro

I too am having an issue w/the wireless networking bridge as well as a missing driver for the Video Controller.

I upgraded from beta2 to beta6 and found both.

I found a link to beta5 and switch to this executable and to a wired ethernet setup for the bridge. The network is back.

I have not been able to find the appropriate driver for the video controller. Have not put my win2k disc in the cdrom, as it is at work; so there is a possibility that will fix... However, I am confused why the driver would be lost in the first place. Any ideas?

chad

2. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

bummer. I tried your fix and unfortunately that didn't work for me. I'm still networkless...

3. daveef

daveef Member

same here worked great in beta 5, just no usb, in 6 no networking with my wireless. so cant get any of my programs loaded to test. Since i had not networking ,had brilliant idea of trashing all parallel stuff and reinstalling parallel and window XP. think how great i felt 2 hours later with still no networking. i will wait for 7. man wish i still had 5 , next time only loading on program in to test, lmao

4. mike3k

mike3k Member

Same here. Networking is seriously screwed up in beta 6. I've never had any problems with networking in previous betas. Of all the betas, 5 was the best. 6 is definitely a step backward.

If it helps, here's the output of ifconfig:
    Code:
    [mike: mike]$ ifconfig -a
    lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
            inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128 
            inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1 
            inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000 
    gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
    stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
    en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
            ether 00:16:cb:89:5a:03 
            media: autoselect status: inactive
            supported media: autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,flow-control> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control> 1000baseT <full-duplex> 1000baseT <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control> none
    en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
            inet 192.168.0.104 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
            ether 00:16:cb:04:f3:8c 
            media: autoselect status: active
            supported media: autoselect
    wlt1: flags=41<UP,RUNNING> mtu 1500
    en2: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
            inet6 fe80::201:23ff:fe45:6789%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x7 
            inet 10.37.129.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.37.129.255
            ether 00:01:23:45:67:89 
            media: autoselect status: active
            supported media: autoselect
    fw0: flags=8822<BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 494
            lladdr 00:16:cb:ff:fe:55:71:40 
            media: autoselect <full-duplex> status: inactive
            supported media: autoselect <full-duplex>

5. John Mac

John Mac Junior Member

I had to shut down both the en1 and the parallels network from the Mac. Then I gave the Windows XP parallels network driver a static IP and DNS and now have wireless networking back on my MacBook Pro. Not great but a temp workaround until they can fix it. Thanks for posting this.

-- JM.

6. Macster2

Macster2 Junior Member

No Networking

No matter what I do nothing is fixing it. Fisrt off, when attempting turning off the Host/Guest as suggested it still shows active/connected. Subnet masks are identical between the guest and host yet IP ar different. When going to configure to turn off I do not have the IPv4, mine is IPv6, does this make a difference? I have tried every possible variation of settings and nada. I can be patient to a point, but boy was was I hipped up with the beta releases and when Beta6 came along, now I'm sunk in the water. Need networking, someone help, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

7. mcg

mcg Hunter

OK, I tried this. I removed Parallels completely, except of course for my .hdd and .pvs files. I deleted the Parallels Host-Guest Adaptor, tried (and failed) to delete Ethernet Adaptor en2 as well, shut down Internet Sharing, etc. etc.

Then I reinstalled Parallels. I followed the directions to the letter to enable NAT/host-only/Internet Connection Sharing support (disabling Parallels' own DHCP service, setting Internet Connection Sharing, etc.)

Wouldn't you know it? Everything worked. One key sign was that suddenly my guest OS's were getting addresses in the 192.168.2.x range, so it was clear that Parallels DHCP wasn't doing it.

8. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I tried disabling that Paralles adapter in OSX, reinstalling the parallel tools etc but nothing made any difference. Assigning the virtual machine an IP manually instead of using DHCP got it working again.

Parallels,

What is that adapter in OSX for? Does it play any role if you are running bridged networking?

Does the order of the OSX adapters matter? I could swear that under B5 or 4 I got stuff working again by changing the location of that adapter from first to last or vice versa.

9. tomm

tomm Junior Member

networking hosed in beta 6

Just like many of others, my Parallels PeeCee XP-pro netwoking does not work anymore in this new beta 6.

I hapilly installed beta 6, it asked me to reboot my MacBook Pro and when I launched the new beta6, I could not connect to the Internet. I am using the same setup as before, which is en1 = airport on my MBP. I noticed it was now set to default in Network adaptor, so I changed it to en1, but that did not help. In fact, I tried all the options and none of them worked. Host -only netwrorking did not work either. So I can't go online in Windoze now. It worked well in all the other betas.

Just like others, I see Ethernet Adaptor (en2) and Parallels Host-Guest Adaptor in addition to the Airport.

You Parallels guys have really messed up this one in your Parallel universe. This thing should not have been released.

What do we do to fix it?

By the way, my license will expire in 5 days. Is it going to be renewed somehow and how?

thanks

10. netdog

netdog Hunter

Add me to the list. Newest tools installed. Network adapter disabled, then enabled again. Nothing gets it going. It seems like a fix in the network tools might be the route for you guys to get this going again.

11. vamp07

vamp07 Member

tomm chill a bit. This is beta software. If you don't want to deal with this stuff let those of us that are more adventurous test it first and then install once it is obvious the release has no major flaws. So far I am under the impression that all you need to do to get going again is to manually assign you IP inside of the guest os. Do you know how to do that?

Parallels keep em coming. Frequent incremental releases is the best way to move forward quickly.

12. Scott

Scott Bit poster

Just chiming in as well. MacBookPro 2ghz, 2gm RAM, OS10.4.6, VM running WinXPPro, I've tried every possible configuration and I can not get a valid network connection. Even turned off the Parallel Network adapter and rolled back to the previous driver, still no connection.

13. netdog

netdog Hunter

That gets me connected, but I have not DNS servers now. IP is below DHCP assigned addresses and there are no conflicting addresses on the network, and subnet and gateway are identified correctly, but no DNS

My iMac gets all this automatically.

14. vamp07

vamp07 Member

Sott, did you try assigning you guest os IP settings manually?

15. KaiserX

KaiserX Junior Member

Back off

You need to back off. If you don't like it, you and your free download can take a hike. Beta is not to be taken lightly, a good burn might be just what some of you snivelling whiners need.

Now a decent BETA tester might have done what a decent BETA tester does, and that's investigate the issue and help the Parallels team out. I don't know why it broke, but if you follow some of the suggestions by the beta testers who are actually trying to help, you'd see that setting a static IP does indeed fix the problem.

And don't forget to fill in the DNS entries or you wont find the internet.

16. vamp07

vamp07 Member

netdog, besides assigning it the IP and gateway to use did you also assign the DNS server?

17. netdog

netdog Hunter

I just assigned the DNS Server to my Gateway IP and it seems to work now. I had thought that DNS had to come from the service provider.

18. Scott

Scott Bit poster

Yup, that seemed to correct the issue, assigning DNS server to the airport base station and all is well again. Thanks!

19. frsnee7

frsnee7 Junior Member

Works after I use fixed IP

I lost networking too, after upgrading to beta6, and running Parallel tools.

I seem to have regained functionality by disabling DHCP within Windows, and using a "fixed IP" and manually entering DNS information.

This is on a home LAN, with my own wireless router acting as a DHCP server.

I find it annoying that Parallels has installed 2 network interfaces in my Mac OS X install. The user should really be warned that this is happening, during the installation process.

Windows 2000 Pro, MBP 2GHz/2GB

20. vamp07

vamp07 Member

So far those interfaces have not caused any problems at least not on the MAC side of things. Why should the user be warned? Installing interfaces is exactly what vmware does. This is not a simple text editor. This program is pretty low level and installing things like networking interfaces is to be expected.