routing through virtual machine

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mmulin, Apr 19, 2007.

1. constant

constant Forum Maven

When you say "us", that only refers to the first class citizens using Desktop.

The second class "us" using Workstation, don't have this and many other luxuries.

2. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Ah, I hadn't considered that you might be using Workstation. Hopefully Parallels will focus more on core feature parity across platforms.

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

4. mmischke

mmischke Hunter

Routing and Remote Access Services would probably do the trick, but it's only available on the server versions of Windows. A hardware router can, as you suggested, also solve the problem (with the proper static routes applied), but such a solution would require toting around an additional piece of hardware. Some hardware routers have built-in VPN capabilities, which can simplify scenarios like this (assuming that portability isn't an issue), but few of them support more than a few common VPN protocols.

On the upside, mmulin has provided a working proof-of-concept for routing host traffic through the VM. I'm guessing that a bit more playing around with XP's routing table will get him routing through the VPN connection, too.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sounds like he is on the most 'perfect' track.

I was just presenting a more straightforward way when he was not understanding how a router could serve a VPN connections.

Hardware VPNs are something additional to tote, plus they can be a pain at times, as can be VPN anyway.

6. mmulin

mmulin Member

Indeed, I wasn't thinking about hardware based VPN when you mentioned routers. As said, this would only serve friendly value to me as a stationary solution, not to mention the price point and my protocols availibility.. nevertheless having my notebook, a mouse and ac adapter is by far enough to lugg around.

That said, I managed to break the policies. It took my a while and some hackling with a guy from checkpoint to understand more of the inner workings of their VPN product in relation to imposed security policies. In the end the trick was to have CP accept that one interface is not protected and do some creative routing ;)