Cannot use F keys

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Brandon, May 15, 2007.

1. Brandon

Brandon Bit poster

I am trying to get my F keys to work on an Intel based Mac running Tiger. I use parallels to have a VM with XP Pro SP2 and we use peachtree acocunting software and I need to be able to use my F keys inside Peachtree. The weird thing about it is I can use F1 and F2 and maybe F12 but the others like F8 F9 F10 all make a noise like a buzzer kind of and do not do anything, they will still work the functions like brightness controls for the screen etc. But something else i noticed was keys like F5 that do not have a function do not make the buzzer sound. I have tried several things with no luck. I got to get this working, so some help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Brandon

2. BarryP13@mac.com

BarryP13@mac.com Member

are you using a desktop or laptop? If it is a laptop, you need to hold the fn key down before you use the f keys (fn is on lowers left on laptop keyboard.

3. chartb

chartb Member

Since you mention that some control brightness for the screen, etc., I assume you're using a Macbook or Macbook Pro. Given that, you need to either hold down the 'fn' key at the lower left corner before pressing a function key, as BarryP notes.

If you prefer, you can also go into the System Preference, Keyboard & Mouse, and on the Keyboard tab set the "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" checkbox. This will reverse the above behavior... F1-F12 will work as you expect in Windows (Parallels), but you will need to hold the 'fn' key to change brightness, volume, etc.

4. Brandon

Brandon Bit poster

well i do hold down the fn key and it makes a buzzer noise, if i dont it will control the brightness etc, yes it is a mac book pro, I will try the system preferences adjustment.
    What is weird is i can hold down the fn key and fn f1 or fn f2 will work.
    thanks

5. wingdo

wingdo Pro

In OS X go to System Preferences, click on 'Keyboard and Mouse' click on the 'Keyboard' tab, make sure "Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features" box is checked.

This will allow the F keys to function normally, you will need to hold down the Fn key in combination with the F keys to control Brightness / Sound etc.

6. Brandon

Brandon Bit poster

i went into the system preferences where you associates actions to the keys and diabled the default actions for the F keys i needed F9 and F10 , I also went into the system preferences like mentioned above and setup the F keys to work in the software instead of the default way of neediong FN and F key.
    Thanks I hope this may help someone else. The only place I was having problems was inside Parallels then Windows XP Pro SP@, Peachtree Accounting Software so it was a very specific problem