Graphics card not working in bootcamp since Parallels install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Superduck, May 15, 2007.

1. Superduck

Superduck Bit poster

Hi everyone,

Bootcamp has been running perfectly for a while now but since I installed Parallels Desktop whenever I use bootcamp none of my apps that required the graphics card work fully, I get messages such as ¨No hardware-accelerated Direct3D devices were found¨. I think this first started to happen after I tried using Adobe Premiere in Parallels desktop.

I've tried disabling and re-enabling the graphics card in Device manager but apart from that I can't think of anything else. Please help!

Thanks in advance!
    Simon

2. warnergt

warnergt Member

I don't believe that Windows has direct access to the video card in Parallels as it did when you booted with Bootcamp. This is merely a limitation of a virtual computer. Those Parallels/Windows windows still have to be displayed on the OS X desktop. To do this, they must go through the Mac OS. If you need hardware accelerated Direct3D graphics, you must boot in Bootcamp. I have to boot in Bootcamp to play graphic intensive games but, for pretty much everything else, Parallels does a superb job.

3. M A V I C

M A V I C Junior Member

Parallels doesn't support hardware 3D, yet. They are working on it, but if you want hardware 3D support, as warnergt says, use boot camp.

4. wesley

wesley Pro

Guys, read his post again. He is having problems in BOOT CAMP. Essentially, installing Parallels to use Boot Camp partition resulted in some sort of disabling of the Boot Camp's video driver, thus no 3D function in Boot Camp.

I'm guessing Parallels Tools install and subsequent installation of Parallels video driver is conflicting with Boot Camp's native driver, when the two should've been separated by hardware profiles. I would suggest that all video driver be uninstalled first, then install Boot Camp's video driver while running via Boot Camp first. See if that restores 3D functionality.

5. Superduck

Superduck Bit poster

Thank you thank you thank you!

That worked perfectly! Is there a way of stopping that from happening again?

Thanks again
    Simon :)