iDefrag dramatically improves performance

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mdobbins, May 16, 2007.

1. mdobbins

mdobbins Bit poster

Just purchased and ran iDefrag on MacBook Pro running version 3188 and, although a Full Defrag took just under 8 hours, have noticed a significant improvement in Parallels performance. Boot time, application start-up time, application performance all obviously better. The virtual drive was THE most fragmented file on my computer!

2. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

Been using iDefrag for a few months here, and it certainly helps a lot in keeping the virtual HDs contiguous for maximum performance. Even if it occasionally isn't able to fully defrag the file because of limited available disk space, it gives good indications at whether it would be interesting to move the HD file out of the drive, defag the drive then move the file back to obtain a single, contiguous file.

3. JohnnyGTO

JohnnyGTO Junior Member

8 hours, wouldn't i be quicker to back up the hard drive and then restore it ?

4. mdobbins

mdobbins Bit poster

I don't think so. iDefrag provides enhanced file structuring that appears to be even better than what the OS will do by itself. So, quicker? Absolutely! Better? Doesn't seem to be the case. Others may have far more info than I so perhaps "others" will chime in!

5. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

It doesn't defrag your Windows file system so it's probably worth running the Win defrag tool after OS X has been defrag'd.