F10 F11

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MrPMorris, May 13, 2007.

1. MrPMorris

MrPMorris Bit poster

I use these two function keys a lot in Windows when debugging applications. When parallels has keyboard capture I would expect it to trap these keys and pass them onto the client O/S but it doesn't.

Is there a way I can get this to happen? I don't want to see expose / desktop when I press these buttons!

Thanks

Pete

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  2. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

I had the same problem. Eventually, I just remapped expose and dashboard stuff to cmd-F*, and got used to working that way.

3. rhind

rhind Member

I've re-mapped my F9-F12 expose/dashboard shortcuts to cmd+F9-cmd+F12 for the same purpose, but Shift+F11 still shows all windows slowly and there is no way I've found to change it, which is a pain as it is a used by Visual Studio for debugging.

There is a macosxhints article on how to re-map these, but I couldn't make it work for me on 10.4.9.

Cheers

Russell

4. kylemad

kylemad Bit poster

You definitely can do this without remapping the Expose keys. I wish I could remember what I did to set it up, but that's how my parallels/XP/visual studio is set up.

You can avoid the most of the F-keys doing their Mac thing by changing the 'Use the F1-F12 keys to control softawer features' in Keyboard & Mouse.

I'll keep looking in the meantime to see what I might have turned on the make Parallels capture those keys.

5. Carl Masters

Carl Masters Bit poster

I just use CMD + F10 or CMD + F11 in the guest os and this works fine

6. rhind

rhind Member

I have mapped Cmd+F9-F12 for expose etc and turned on the function keys to behave as F keys unless fn is pressed. F9-F12 then behave fine in the guest os, but Shift+F9-F12 still executes expose/dashboard in slow mode, even though it should really be Cmd+Shift+F9 etc in my setup.

A problem with OS X but would be helpful if Parallels could work round it.

Cheers

Russell