ActiveSync

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by MrPMorris, May 12, 2007.

1. MrPMorris

MrPMorris Bit poster

Hi all

I have a couple of questions I would like answered :)

I develop .NET compact framework apps for Intermec Pocket PC computers using Windows/Visual Studio 2005. My laptop recently packed up so I am looking for a replacement. The iMac has caught my eye, but I absolutely *must* be able to continue to work, which is how I ended up at this website.

My questions are
    01: If I install Windows as a virtual machine within parallels will ActiveSync still work on Windows via the USB port?
    02: Is Vista Business supported in parallels too?

I'm hoping to have a "best of both worlds" situation so that I can lear to write apps for the Mac. This is the only thing stopping me from rushing out right now and buying one, in fact it took a lot of will power to walk out of the shop yesterday :)

Thanks in advance!

Pete

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

ActiveSync works perfectly via USB. I do not run Vista Business yet so I can't comment on it.

3. MrPMorris

MrPMorris Bit poster

not on vista

It doesn't work on Vista, but XP works just fine!

4. fpillet

fpillet Junior Member

Dunno about Vista (don't need it) but I do Windows Mobile development using Windows XP in Parallels on a MacBookPro (2Gb RAM) and it works just great.

It seems some devices connect more easily than others. On older devices you may need to install a utility or tune the connection to use "serial usb". I didn't have any trouble with a recent iPaq HW2490b (PDA) and an Orange SPV M3000 smartphone (HTC Wizard hardware)

5. ihadmeavision

ihadmeavision Bit poster

Works on one of my two Macs

Works great on my Mac Pro at work but I can't get it to work with my Axim x51v and my Macbook Pro. I guess I'll keep trying...:(

Update: It just started working on my laptop. The only thing I did was switch it to RNDIS. All the instructions say to use Serial.... It also just popped up in the Parallels Device menu. Maybe re-installing Activesync did the trick.. I don't know, I tried a billion things, I'm just glad it works. Wahooo!! :)
    ::I::

Last edited: May 17, 2007