Installing xp in Suse 10.2 help, please

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by Sccrman06, May 15, 2007.

1. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

I have successfully installed parallels software and am now encountering problems installing windows xp sp1 in the virtual machine. Usually one would, after parallels installation, configure the new VM, insert the OS cd and then press the start/play button. This would normally start installation. However in my case it does not. Parallels says that no operating system is installed.

A little about my system setup. I have a brand new dell precision m90 with intel core 2 duo 2.33GHz processor, 4GB ram, 100GB hd, nvidia 2500m 512MB graphics card, 8x dvd +/-rw drive. If anyone needs anymore info, I would be more than happy to reply.

Back to details about the problem... Here's what I think the problem is...: At the default parallels screen, where it lists the virtual machines characteristics, the cdrom is listed as some file instead of D: or whatever. When I try to change this, the bubble for using an actual cd-rom device cannot be checked/filled in. So that's what I think is my problem--maybe--maybe not.

I installed the 32 bit version of suse 10.2, since parallels doesn't install in 64 bit--trust me I tried. I installed the .rpm using yast. I hope that's enough info, and I hope someone can help me. Thanks a whole lot guys.

David.

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Try the add new hardware wizard, and select, use physical cdrom drive.

3. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Thanks for your response, but...

I appreciate your response and help, however that particular method won't work. I did try the new hardware wizard, and then create a new cd drive. Then when the window came up to choose between an iso and an actual cd drive, the cd drive bubble is unable to be checked/filled...which by my thinking is very very odd....anything else I can try???

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Go to Yast, hardware information, and see what device name the cd drive has been given.

If it's /dev/hdc, then reinstalling Parallels is probably the best first step.

If it's not /dev/hdc, then note what it is, and do a symlink from that device to /dev/hdc.

As a courtesy, the "bubble" is actually called a radio button.

5. SteveRichards

SteveRichards Junior Member

My cd/dvd is /dev/hda. The assignment depends on what you have for IDE. If your primary disk is SATA it is probably /dev/sda, and your cd might be the master of IDE0 so it would be /dev/hda. Not that any of this helps your problem, but I thought I might just mention that is does not necessarily have to be /dev/hdc.

Also it says in the documentation you need system privileges to access the drive. I guess you should try it as root and then go from there...

6. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Hmmmm....

Once again, thank you for your replies.

Constant:
    I did follow your instructions and go to Yast and find my drive name. It's name is "sr0." I then ran this command: ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/hdc

I then uninstalled parallels and reinstalled it again. I then changed to root to issue the parallels command. I created a new VM and the same problem occurs. Hmmmmm......

Steve:
    Thank you also for your help. My primary drive is SATA, and its name is /dev/sda just like you said. Therefore, should I link /dev/sr0 to hda, maybe? If so, do I need to delete the link from hdc...and if I do need to do this, how do I delete it?

Thanks again,
    David

7. SteveRichards

Go into YAST and under Hardware section select Hardware Information. Once it finishes click on the CDROM selection and find the device. Under that section is the Device Name you want to use.

Delete the link by deleting the device you created (/dev/hdc).

Try reinstalling parallels as root?

Steve

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  8. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Latest Update...

I was able to find the device in Yast and since I have a drive that writes cds and dvds there are two device names. However, the one under the CD-ROM label is /dev/sr0. I was unable to find the /dev/hdc device so I could delete it. Never the less, I uninstalled parallels and logged in as root. I installed parallels under root and the same problem happens: the cd rom drive that parallels wants to attach itself to is

/usr/lib/parallels/tools/vmtools.iso

Under root the radio button for "using an acutal cd/dvd rom" is still not checkable.

I really hope you guys can help me...maybe someone from parallels will take notice? Unless you guys are from parallels, and in that case nevermind.

9. SteveRichards

Sorry, I don't have any more suggestions at this time. You'll probably have to contact Parallels and see if they can tell you how they determine what the CDROM drive is.

Steve

10. constant

constant Forum Maven

Sorry dude, I'm all out of ideas as well. Other than to suggest searching here, as I recall in a distant past, discussion about cd drives. Don't recall any outcome though.

11. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Customer service from Parallels?

That's laughable. This forum is chocked full of people who can't get in touch with them. Besides, I'm not running parallels for mac and that's what they care about right now--not the workstation. Anyway, I did send support an email two days ago but all I've gotten back is an automated reply. I could spend half of what I paid for the software, 29.99, for tech support. However I was very wary of that since they got my money for this software that doesn't work and now they want to charge me money PER INCIDENT. I'm not sure if that means per call or per problem. Plus, technically my system isn't supported since I'm using Suse 10.2. So I'm afraid that if I pay the money to call they'll just say, "Sorry we don't support that." Anyway, you live you learn...thanks for help though guys. I do appreciate it.

David

12. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Bug Alert!!!

Definition of insanity:
    Trying the same thing more than once expecting different results.

I think that's also the definition of software. I'm almost at the point of giving up since I've installed and run parallels under suse 10.2, 10.1, and 10.0 only to encounter the same issue that I do not know/cannot fix. Yes, I went all the way back to suse 10.0 since that is the latest version of suse linux parallels supports. Therefore, the only conclusion I can draw is that there is a bug/compatibility issue with parallels and the Dell Precision m90. Which I am very upset about since I spent a SIZABLE amount of money on this machine, and then I spent more money on software that doesn't work as promised/advertised. I guess I'll just join the host of people on this forum that have wasted money on this software.

I emailed tech support twice and all they have said is we don't support that version of linux. So I've downgraded twice, from 10.2 to 10.0 to see if it would work and it doesn't. We'll see how long these shenanigans go on. I'll keep you posted...

13. constant

constant Forum Maven

I run Parallels on opensuse10.2 without any problems. So it is most likely something to do with the hardware.

14. SteveRichards

I also run it in Opensuse 10.2 without issue. Sorry, I know it doesn't help you, but there must be something particular to your install, unfortunately you will need to get support from Parallels.

15. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reassurance that I won't have to stick with the version of suse. It's not nearly as user friendly as it's later released counter parts. I'm just a frustrated, as you can probably understand. Right now I'm waiting on an email back from the tech support...

16. SteveRichards

In your file /var/log/boot.msg can you find device /dev/sr0 and see if it is recognized as a dvd or cdrom ?

If not that could be an issue, if it is then I guess it isn't.

17. titetanium

titetanium Member

Try opening a console window and do
    That should help you track down the link you created. By the same token, before going any further with parallels, I think you need to sort out the cdrom issue in SUSE instead. Does your burner program in SUSE work properly, i.e..... K3b, graveman, gnome-cd-burner, xcdroast, and the like? You don't need to waste burning a cd/dvd to find out, just try it with the laser turned off. See man cdrecord for more information on how to do this.

On further reflection, I think this is a configuration issue in SUSE. You remarked that SUSE marks the cdrom as /dev/sr0 which, if I'm not mistaken, is a SCSI device. To make it treat it as an ATAPI device, you need to link /dev/sr0 to /dev/hdc and then link /dev/hdc to /dev/cdrom. Accordingly, you should edit /etc/fstab to point all references from /dev/sr0 to /dev/hdc, something like this perhaps?
    Reboot and try reinstalling parallels and hopefully that sorts it out. (EDIT) Something tells me that parallels isn't looking for /dev/sr* or /dev/hd* but /dev/cdrom. (/EDIT)

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  18. constant

constant Forum Maven

titetanium is definately onto something there. It must have been a while since I looked at this last.

When I do "ll /dev/cdrom" it is linked to /dev/hdc.

Following tite's advice about the linking should yeild a good result.

19. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Thanks again

Guys,

In theory I agree with you, however I am no where close to being that familiar/skilled with Linux. I use it for work and a little software development since the program I work on/develop runs in Linux. If I can impress upon a little more to explain the process in a little more detail I would dance at your wedding. :)

20. constant

constant Forum Maven

Just link hdc to cdrom, with ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom. You could even do ln -s /dev/sr0 /dev/cdrom.

I'm already married, so if it works, you'll have to dance at my funeral. ;)