Installing XP Service Pack 2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ericmiller74, Feb 15, 2007.

1. ericmiller74

ericmiller74 Bit poster

Moved from "How to"

Is anyone else having problems upgrading the VM to XP service pack 2. I have tried twice and cannot get it installed. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2007
  2. martyf

martyf Bit poster

I tried to install it 3 times today without success. I get some sort of memory error. I'm using the new version of Parallels (Build 3186).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  3. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

no I just had it preinstalled
    when I updated to 3186

which version of WinXp are you starting with?

how much memory allocated to VM
    if 1 gb make is smaller
    500 to 750 mb as Parallels defaults suggest

I just got SP2 under Windows updates in MS IE Tools

Hugh W

4. jakeismoney

jakeismoney Bit poster

I am also having the same memory error. I've tried 5 times already... anyone have a fix for this?

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

are you doinmg a web update?

you may need Sp1 first?

have you installed parallels tools?

Hugh W

6. patrickm

patrickm Bit poster

I am having the same problem. I ran Windows Update but Service Pack 2 did not install so I tried to install it separately. The install program crashed my virtual machine.

Any suggestions on installing Service Pack 2???

7. atcontact

atcontact Bit poster

Service Pack 2

Ok All

Here is an interesting scenario for you, I had the same problem as all of you, even submitted a ticket to support but it appears that they can take up to 3 days to respond.

I had a default setup for Windows XP Pro, I had the latest build installed of Parallels, I got Internal Error messages when trying to install.

The only solution I found to this at the moment, was to wipe my Windows Install and the install of Parallels on the MAC, then use an old version of Parallels, then install all service packs and then install the latest version of Parallels tools.

This is the only way I could get it to work, kinda sucks if you have a lot in windows. Maybe there is some other way but that is the only solution I could get to work.

Maybe this latest version of Parallels is not quite ready although I have to say coherence rocks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  8. atcontact

atcontact Bit poster

Service Pack 2

OK, I have now installed Service Pack 2 and this time instead of using wi-fi connection, I plugged CAT5 cable in to ethernet port to get download.

This time all succeeded. I think you should try this as there could be corruption of download using wi-fi.

9. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

generally ethernet + wire + router seems to be the most trouble free Mac connection

totally plug and play once the router is initialized

Hugh W

10. minted stereo

minted stereo Bit poster

i'm having a similar problem installing SP2 on my VM. I have the latest version of parallels purchased only yesterday. during installation it seems to get stuck on completing instalation/clean up for well over an hour. any ideas?

11. gotomas

gotomas Bit poster

ditto - freezes half way through

I am having the same problem installing the SP2 on top of XP....

12. C_Cooper

C_Cooper Bit poster

XP Pro Service Pack 2

Well, this seems like a pretty popular thread. I'm having the same problem. Try to upgrade to SP2 and I get some sort of memory error. Then I can retry and it tells me to validate XP Pro...been there...done that. I read in here that someone said I had to have SP1 first. I'm trying that now but I didn't have to do that last time...I don't think. Any ideas / suggestions? Thanks guys

13. remi

remi Bit poster

Hey Guys,

I think i worked out how to fix this!

I finally got it working after 5 days! you have to boot up windows in parallels in OS View so its a window, then download the SP2 file to the mac, now dont use it in a parallels shared folder... copy it to your "Windows XP Pro" Desktop! from here start the installer... MAKE SURE YOUR POWER IS PLUGGED IN!

Once you say i agree and the installer starts to run... after about 1 or 2 mins where its copying files, move ur mouse to the OS X taskbar at the top and turn off Wifi and Bluetooth... then let it do its thing... for me this worked and the installer finished succesfully :):)

14. onNYTurf

onNYTurf Bit poster

likewise mine seems hung on "performing cleanup" - it hasn't moved in about 30 min, however the harddrive light is going nuts and once I saw the network adapter flicker. Recommend some more documentation on all this.

15. onNYTurf

onNYTurf Bit poster

Just a little follow up, SP2 finally installed, so if you find cleanup taking a looooooong time just be patient.

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Also for everyone having issues, don't forget about the option of slipstreaming. If you don't know what it is, just google the word and XP SP2 and you will find detailed instructions.

17. beta

beta Bit poster

I tried the strategy of limiting the available memory, turned off the network adaptor and used a full download of the service pack 2 installer. This worked. It's disappointing though to think that Parallels is not able to deal with extra RAM. Perhaps it's the Microsoft OS that is the problem. I selected a conventional 512 MB for the successful service pack installation where before I was using the funky number 1000 MB.

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

That is goofy and very strange...

19. sjferwerda

sjferwerda Bit poster

Service Pack 2 Installation Issue Fixed

I was having the same problem as everyone else in this thread and finally downloaded the SP 2 Network Installation executable version from the Microsoft web site:

http://tinyurl.com/6ceaw

Everything worked like a charm.

Before you run the executable, make sure that you have Used Windows update to get you to the point where the only update left that is needed is Service Pack 2.

I also disabled the Antivirus program that comes with Parallels, but I doubt that had any effect.

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  20. cap_nemo

cap_nemo Bit poster

I have had all of these exact same issues. I've also tried most of the above methods with no luck. Anyone have any other suggestions? Or do you guys know of a link to download a previous version of Parallels?