Installing XP on MacBookPro with Parallels: boot from hard drive (stuck here)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gklakey, May 8, 2007.

1. gklakey

gklakey Bit poster

I saw the following post in the "how to" forum, but it wasn't answered yet and I'm having the exact same problem and desperately need help. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on?

"I just purchased a MacBook Pro and Parallels Desktop for Mac. . I tried to install Windows XP but now I'm getting the following message in a separate window with a black backround:

Boot from hard drive....

It just freezes from there. I attempted to deleted the XP space and reinstalled Parallels Desktop for Mac, but I'm still having the problem.

What do I need to do?"

Thanks!
    Gretchen

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

gklakey,

Please give us some more details how you installing Windows XP:

* How did you created new VM - Express or Typical?
    * Did you installing from CD or ISO image?

3. gklakey

gklakey Bit poster

I did a custom install of parallels with 600 MB of memory.
    Then I did an Auto Install of XP and chose 60000 MB HD space.

I'm using Parallels that I just got shipped to me from Apple last week.
    I'm using Windows XP home edition - full version. Installing from a cd I purchased last night at a store.

My mac is a new MacBookPro.

When I did the Auto Install of XP, it looked like it was installing for a few minutes, and then a bunch of text came up on a blue screen. All I could read on it was that it said some kind of error. The reason I couldn't read the entire screen is that when it came up, parallels immediately flipped the screen to the Microsoft Windows XP - Parallels Desktop configuration page. On that page, it says "stopped" and then gives my configuration info.

If I put the Windows XP cd in again and hit the play button on that panel, the panel flips over to the black dos looking screen and says "Boot from CD/DVD-ROM drive... failed. Boot from hard drive... _"

This time I just tried it again and when it got to that point, the cd drive spit out my windows cd.

Any ideas of what is going on? Do you think I have a bad cd of Windows XP? Or is it something else?

4. Andrew @ Parallels

Could you please try Express Installation of Windows XP in Parallels? If it completes with success you can change VM configuration as you wish.

PS: I suspect that something wrong in your custom VM configuration...

5. gklakey

gklakey Bit poster

Andrew,

I'm so glad that you are helping me on this. Thank you!!

I have tried to reinstall windows, but it doesn't give me any options at all. So, I re-inserted my windows cd and hit the play button in the parallels Desktop. I tried this last night and the same thing happened, it seemed like it may be installing (but didn't give me any options). It was saying things like loading drivers, etc.

But, today when I try to reinstall, I can't even do what I did last night.

Also, last night I tried to uninstall Parallels. And, when I went to re-install it, it didn't ask me any of the questions it did the first time and didn't give me all of the options.

I hope you have some ideas. Do you think I need to do a complete uninstall of Parallels? I'm new to mac and don't know how to do that.

Thanks!
    Gretchen

6. gklakey

gklakey Bit poster

Andrew,

Thank you so much for your help!

I was able to find another post after much digging that answered my question and I was able to get windows xp running!!!

WhiteFireFlight posted the following which is just what I needed:

" Smile Solution Found Good Point, the host OS is Windows XP....now for the good news, and hopefully this can help someone else who may have been in my shoes. Email support provided a procedure that worked like a charm, and I couldn't be happier with the results so far. Here was the solution:

nstalling OS from an ISO image.

If Mac is unable to read the CD, you may try to install from an .iso
    image of the CD.
    To create ISO image please take the following steps:

1 Insert the OS installation disc into the CD/DVD-ROM drive of your computer.

2 Start the Parallels Image Tool (applications/parallels/parallels image tool). Upon startup, the assistant displays the Welcome dialog. Click Next.

3 On the Choose Device Type dialog select the CD/DVD-ROM option and click Next.

4 On the CD/DVD-ROM dialog make sure the option Create a new ISO image of the CD/DVD disc is selected. Click Next.

5 On the Create New ISO Image of CD/DVD Disc dialog select the source device (CD/DVD-ROM drive on your Macintosh computer), and specify a destination folder and a name of the CD/DVD image file. Click Next.

6 On the Review Processing Options dialog, carefully review the settings (operation, source device, and destination file). If everything is correct, click the Start button to begin the operation.

7 While the operation is being performed, the Execution in progress dialog is displayed. Wait until the operation is completed.

8 After the disc image is created, the Execution Completed dialog appears.

Click the Exit button to close the assistant.

The disc image is created and placed in the destination folder specified in step 5

Now you should be able to connect this image to the Parallels Desktop
    Virtual Machine

In the Configuration screen Edit> CD/DVD-ROM Options,
    enable "Use Image File" option and select your file's destination in
    the field below.

in Options Booting tab select
    sequence as (CD-ROM, Hard Disk, Floppy.)

Start VM with the green start button

And install windows as normal

Big Thank you to Tracy! "

Thank you! - Gretchen

7. Andrew @ Parallels

gklakey,

I am glad you found the solution!

8. mcampbell

mcampbell Bit poster

Hi folks,

I'm all excited about running 3D Studio Max on my Mac....but I'm hitting a brick wall...

I followed Gretchen's steps above, but no joy!

I am using a Mac Book Pro with Windows XP Professional SP2. I tried the Express mode of setting up the VM.

After installing OS from an image, and changing the Boot options to CD/HD/FLoppy, I'm still getting the dreaded 'Boot from CD/DVDfrom hard drive.......failed' message.

Any help would be really great.

Mark

9. pap

pap Junior Member

Same exact issues here

I am having the same exact issues. I tried installing from a disc with the "typical" and "Express" method.

I also tried creating an ISO image of the XP OS as described above. Parrallels doesn't let me select the ISO image to boot from. It’s grayed out. I'm at a loss. The computer is brand new and all software is brand new. I even replaced the XP OS thinking I had a bad disc and still had the same results. Customer service was very helpful but now they want me to pay for more help. This is frustrating.

Here is my setup:
    Macbook Pro
    2.33 ghz core duo 2
    2GB ram
    Parallels version 3188
    Windows Xp Home SP2 full version

Any help from anyone would be great.

Pap

10. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

Try a right click on the iso file and make sure you have the show extension selected. MAke sure it is an iso file. Try mounting it from file directly, can you access it?

If you cannot access it directly thru mounting it in filer, then there was a problem creating the iso image. Then you should redo your iso image.

I've isntalled all of my virtual machines from iso images.

11. pap

pap Junior Member

Thank you for the reply. I can not access the file. I tried recreating the the ISO before and after the new XP replacement. It is still the same. I can not acces (double click on it)the ISO file at all. It appears as a grayed out document.

Pap

12. pap

pap Junior Member

I got it to work. It was the extension. I had to rename the file and manually type ".ico" after the name of the file name. For some reason, it would not display unless typed in manually.

Thank you fbronner
    Pap

13. mcampbell

mcampbell Bit poster

Glad you got it working Pap,

My .iso option was never greyed out, and it's still not working in "Express" or "Custom" mode.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks Mark

Parallels version 3188
    Windows Xp Pro SP2 full version

14. palatiger

palatiger Bit poster

Thanks - this also helped me!

15. GaryRmn

GaryRmn Bit poster

Vista, Parallels and MacBookPro

HELP, somebody please solve this for me.......

I'm keeping my fingers crossed here that somebody can help me, I have searched the forum's to no avail, I have posted my problem twice without much in the way of replies or help.....

I have a new MacBookPro 17" 2.33GHz Duo2 with 3GB Memory, I have my hdd partitoned equally at 80G per side (done via Boot Camp) with Mac on one partition, Windows Vista Ultimate on the other. I have Parallels loaded, lastest version purchased at time of buying notebook. When I boot in MAC and run Parallels I cannot access any of the programs I have loaded in the windows partition, i.e. Office 2007 Ultimate. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that the windows that runs via Parallels is not starting from the windows partition, can I change the way Parallels works so that it does boot the full windows installation from windows side of disk and hence give me complete access to all my Windows based programs.......

Apologies for my ignorance!!

16. bridjmon

bridjmon Bit poster

I also just installed Parallels & Windows XP Pro on a MacBookPro 17" 2.33GHz Duo2 with 3GB Memory. My problem is I can not get to the Windows XP desktop I get the following when attempting:

Boot from hard drive... failed.
    Boot from CD/DVD-ROM drive... failed.

Is this an easy fix?

17. jenicalanc@aol.com

jenicalanc@aol.com Bit poster

have tried the iso image trick- STILL NOT WORKING

I have a Mac Book Pro Duo Core

Hello! I am trying to install Windows XP and it is just not working!

I have tried re-installing Parallels...

I have tried the iso image trick, both by using the Parallels imaging and the Mac's imaging tool as a .dmg....

I have ensured that my image files have the correct extension on the end....

Help!