Blackberry support

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by yaron, May 16, 2007.

1. yaron

yaron Bit poster

I am sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that I would love to be able to fully synch, backup, and in general tether the blackberry to parallels. Right now, I connect the usb to parallels. I then load up the desktop manager and if I want to load software onto my blackberry, I then unplug the usb cable from the blackberry, plug it back in, and start the process. Then while the applications are being loaded I push buttons on the blackberry so it keeps the connection to the usb port completely alive. I then pray that the device finishes what it needs to do.

I call this whole process magic voodoo.

2. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

What BB are you using, We have issues with Active sync and its drivers currently. The 8700, 8100, and the Pearl are well known for having these issues. It is more of a Black Berry issue currently and their drivers not working within a VM of any type.

Tyland1200

3. frikwa

frikwa Bit poster

If 8700 and 8100 are not working within any VM of any type, how about the 8800? This has been an ongoing issue for me and a solution or step-by-step process to have it resolved would be greatly appreciated. My current VM buils is 3188. Any answers any one?

4. kevinw

kevinw Hunter

Black Berry 8300 Curve doesn't sync

I am also having problems using Blackberry Desktop with the new Curve 8300 from Cingular. It will connect but when you try to sync it freezes. I have tried the same software
    and connection on a Windows XP Pro machine and it works fine.

5. Parabola

Parabola Junior Member

Not sure about this statement, because VMWare Fusion Beta 1.0b4 (49528) is able to reliably sync BlackBerry 7100G, 8700 and the new 8300 (a/k/a "Curve").

6. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tyland1200
    It is more of a Black Berry issue currently and their drivers not working within a VM of any type.

Not sure about this statement, because VMWare Fusion Beta 1.0b4 (49528) is able to reliably sync BlackBerry 7100G, 8700 and the new 8300 (a/k/a "Curve").

Agreed. I have a Blackberry 8100 and a Blackberry 8300. Both sync and work flawlessly with BB Desktop Manager and VMware Fusion. Neither work with Parallels v 3.0 (they did not work with previous versions of Parallels either). With Fusion, I just installed the program and the Blackberries worked immediately with no tinkering at all. The only reason I have kept Fusion on my MacBookPro is to use the BB Desktop Manager.

Dan

7. jnj

jnj Bit poster

Constant USB issues with Parallels

To feed the fire here -- the USB processes for Parallels are not reliable and are a stunning lack of functionality in a supposed professional product.

I have the same issues with a Blackberry Pearl and Curve, as well as with a Garmin GPS and with another specialized GPS device for autocross use. All of these work flawlessly on a PC, and the common thread of failure is Parallels. It is not reasonable to blame hardware that works as advertised - that is just weak.

The fact that these USB issues are not openly discussed as shortcomings in the Parallels marketing materials represent a breach of faith to customers. It is amazing that such a fundamental feature is broken so badly.

This issue makes using my MacBook Pro impossible as a PC replacement.

What is Parallels going to do about this shortcoming!

8. quadgrande

quadgrande Bit poster

Looks like VMWare is the way to go. I've been waiting on Parallels blackberry support for a year.

9. tholland

tholland Bit poster

I was running Parallels with a Vista VM, but had to keep a Dell PC around just to handle my Blackberry. I've installed VMWare Fusion (beta and Release 1.0) and the Blackberry and USB in general works flawlessly. I would love to go back to Parallels - Coherence is much better than Unity in my mind, but it doesn't make sense to keep a Dell PC around just for the Blackberry.

Parallels Team: Are you working on this or should I just give up?

10. SD Macman

SD Macman Junior Member

Wish I had the golden answer but really there isn't one. see thread below. a few of us were able to get fairly consistent sync's going.

http://forum.parallels.com/thread13380-2.html

I still have problems though. The most common is once desktop manager connects and I press sync the BDM freezes. I should note that I am using companion link to sync with and ACT database. Don't know if that plays into the problem.