Deleting files on Virtual HD but free space size stays the same?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rdean, May 18, 2007.

1. rdean

rdean Member

I keep getting a warning that my "C:" drive in my Windows XP Home environment is running out of space. So I delete and uninstalled a bunch of programs (and then emptied the Recycle bin) but I noticed the amout of free space is not changing at all? Is anyonoe else having this issue?

I know that I can go through a procedure to increse the disk size, but it should really recongnize that I am deleting files and give me the space back.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. wonder_mice

wonder_mice Hunter

Amount of free space on wich drive is not changing? On real hard drive in your mac, or in virtual hard drive in your guest Windows? Can you tell precise information (in numbers) about free space on your drives?

3. rdean

rdean Member

Disk Space not freeing up

My C: drive in my Windows XP Environment is currently at 135 meg of free space (this is based on being in Windows and looking at the free space using "My Computer"). I then deleted a bunch of files and un-installed programs on the C: drive (again I did this in my Windows Environment using Windows un-install and Windows Explorer to delete un-needed files). The free space on the C: drive remains 135 meg. In addition the recycle bin has been emptied.

Note: All of this is in Windows XP Home under Parallels. I am not using a partition or dual boot drive. Just a standard Parallels install which other then this has been running great.

4. Constable_Odo1

Constable_Odo1 Member

Did you run Disk Cleanup in Windows? It's part of Windows System Tools. That might give you more space.

5. rdean

rdean Member

I did that also.

Yes. I forgot to mention that. I did that also. I did not run defreg because I did not think that would matter plus for some reason I thought I read that can be problematic.