Video Memory error

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by drewberk, Mar 20, 2007.

1. drewberk

drewberk Bit poster

I have been using Parallels for a couple of months now. I started using Coherence about a month ago in one of the beta releases. I'm now running Build 3188 and have been running it since about March 9th. In all this time Coherence has run like a gem and I've had no problems.

However, last night Parallels started popping up a warning dialog telling me that there is not enough video memory and that things may look bad (that is an understatement). The only change that I had made was to install the Sprint / Novatel ExpressCard under Windows (which is required to activate the card correctly). So today I tried removing the Sprint / Novatel software, but it did not solve the problem. I've attached a screen shot of the dialog for your review.

Here's everything else that I've tried so far with no success in making this error go away:
    1. Changed my video resolution in Windows to 640x480
    2. Turned off multiple monitors in Parallels.
    3. Created a new parallels virtual machine and pointed it to my existing hard drives
    4. Increased my memory allocation for the VM
    5. Decreased the memory allocation for the VM
    6. Increased the video memory allocation for the VM.
    7. Restarted Windows (in parallels)
    8. Restarted my Mac.
    9. Downloaded and run memtest (which showed no memory errors).

My machine configuration is:
    Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: MacBook Pro 17"
    Machine Model: MacBookPro1,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03

Any advice is greatly appreciated as this is very annoying and I've gotten somewhat addicted to Coherence mode and would really prefer to use it.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  2. cdial01

cdial01 Bit poster

I have the exact same issue. MacBook Pro 15" running build 3188. I also run the Novatel U720 - Coherence no longer works. Did you get anywhere in trying to figure this one out?

3. drewberk

drewberk Bit poster

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried un-installing Parallels tools, un-installing Parallels, restarting the Mac, and then installing everything again?

5. drewberk

drewberk Bit poster

No. Fortunately that was not necessary. All I had to do was reinstall the Parallels Tools on the Windows side to get it going again.

6. cdial01

cdial01 Bit poster

I went into system properties within XP and noticed that my video driver was disabled. Once I enabled it, Coherence worked great. For some reason though the video driver doesn't always want to stay enabled. Every so often I have to re-enable it. It's not often enough to be to much of a pain...

7. drewberk

drewberk Bit poster

That's very interesting, but definitely sounds like what happened in my case also. I'm sure that guys are parallels will be able to address this with that type of information.

8. harrymcq

harrymcq Bit poster

I am having the exact same problem. Re-installing parallels tools in the virtual machine (XP home) does not seem to fix it. Everything works fine until I go to coherence. I can't seem to find where the video driver might have been disabled, the only red flag I noticed was that the Parallels video adapter is only showing 8MB in windows. Anyone have any ideas short of a Parallels uninstall/re-install?

This is build 3188, I had been using coherence for a few weeks now and the only thing I can think of having done is install some windows updates.

9. cdial01

cdial01 Bit poster

Coherence Issues

Re-enabling the video driver in XP did the trick for me. I'm not sure why, but occasionally the video driver will show up as disabled and Coherence looks awful. Re-enabling it fixes the problem, but again, not sure why it occasionally get disabled. Sorry I don't have more information.

10. drewberk

drewberk Bit poster

To be clear, I didn't just re-inable the Parallels tools. I actually walked through the entire Parallels tools setup process on my Windows Virtual machine. I've had to do this several times, but each time it has fixed my problem.

I'm sorry, but I don't know of any other solution either. I wish a Parallels tech would at least acknowledge this and give an estimate of when they may address it.

11. harrymcq

harrymcq Bit poster

Where exactly does one 're-enable the driver' in XP?

12. Howard Brazee

Howard Brazee Hunter

Different games of my wife's give different errors. Here's one that may be something soluable - I don't know:

WordTravels has encountered an error and needs to close. Work Buffer: Out of video memory (unknown error).

Is there something that can be done to give video memory to the game?