Burning from Windows

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rich.mcdonough, Dec 29, 2006.

1. mmika

mmika Pro

jpitrman, be careful.
    Please read other topics in this forum about build 3106, Parallels Tools and boot camp and backup your VM .hdd image.
    Checking for updates only for finished versions.

2. Happyworker

Happyworker Bit poster

Speaking about new builds and releases.....when will a release be available with these new enhancements (DVD burning specifically). I just bought Parellels and the latest is build 1970.

Can't wait to have these updates available. Don't really want to use a beta, considering I just bought it.

Great software.

Cheers,
    Happyworker

3. pjkix

pjkix Bit poster

i'm still not having much luck with the following

macbook pro 15" 2ghz core duo
    parallels biuild 3188
    windows xp sp2 + latest updates

parallels setup with cd/dvd options:
    device enabled
    connect at startup
    use cd/dvd rom
    default cd/dvd
    connect to IDE 0:1

windows drive properties:
    enable cd burning

still can't burn from built in windows burning or 3rd party apps

4. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

pjkix;

I'm having the same problem. Mac Pro with standard builtin Superdrive (CD/DVD burner). I can't burn CD's with the built in XP software or burn DVD's with CloneDVD. I can burn CD's from the Mac version of iTunes, so I know the hardware works. I submitted a request for help to Tech Support and they told my to "Enable CD/DVD Drive, and select Connect at Startup". I already have it set that way as you do. I'm at a loss how to get this to work. I have Build 3188 installed, with OSX 10.4.9. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling parallels tools, disabling and reenabling the CD/DVD, but nothing seems to work. XP still thinks it is a reader only. (XPSP2 Home with all updates).

5. TAllenSr

TAllenSr Junior Member

Same Here!

Exact same issues here. Windows shows "DVD-RW Drive (D:)", but when I insert a blank DVD-R, and then click on the drive, I get an I/O error.

Any help anyone?

THANKS!
    Troy

6. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

I guess we are the only three having this problem, but it still doesn't work for me. I have 3188. Mac Pro. Built In DVD (standard). I have CD/DVD enabled and Connect at Startup Enabled. The drive shows up as a DVD R/W drive with a recording tab, but if I try to burn from Windows Explorer, CloneDVD, or Windows Media Player I get an error. After that, many times, the Drive will only show up as CD/DVD and not a burner.

I wonder if it has anything to do with AnyDVD running in the background. I'll try disabling that and see if it helps.

7. mmika

mmika Pro

jwjohnson99, we reproduced this problem. it's true, windows built-in burning doesn't work with SONY DVD RW DW-D150A. Try to use NERO 7.5 or higher, it works fine.
    We will fix it into our next version.

8. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

No change with AnyDVD disabled. I copied a 300MB file to the CD Drive in Windows Explorer. It asks if I want to burn this file to CD. I click yes. It goes through the dialog and I can hear the CD drive spin up like it is going to write, then I get this error box. I need to get this working so I can quit running my PC next to my Mac for burning tasks that need to run under Windows.

Parallels Picture.jpg

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Given that burning a CD or DVD from OS X is painless and quite effective, why is it important to do this from Windows? Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering what reasons there are.

10. TeamSTARS

TeamSTARS Bit poster

I'm having the same problem on two machines
    iMac and Power book pro.

any ideas?

ps first post - hope it looks ok

11. TeamSTARS

TeamSTARS Bit poster

The software does not exist for the Mac <sigh>
    It uses Windows Media Player to burn discs
    Unfortunately, the books are converted at burn time to audio format

12. TopShelf

TopShelf Bit poster

Windows Media Player fails to write CDs in Windows XP/Parallels 3188

I'm running Parallels 3188/Windows XP on a Mac Pro. I recently purchased some music through Puretracks, a service that sells the music in protected WMA format.

Normally I would use ITunes but due to licensing restrictions in Canada I can't always get the music I want on the Canadian ITunes store although it is available on the US store. (Other licensing restrictions prevent us from getting ITunes TV shows or Movies - sigh)

Anyways, the only way I can burn this DRM-ed music to CD is through Windows Media Player 10. Unfortunately, this is failing on my system. When WMP goes to actually write the CD the process fails and the writing shuts down.

This sounds like it is an outstanding problem. Any timeline for a fix?