What's New/What's Fixed in Beta6 (comments)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 29, 2006.

1. pierremaison

pierremaison Bit poster

Same for me, just installed Beta 6 and have now lost all networking. Definately set to EN1, what gives?

2. Ekke

Ekke Bit poster

Hello Parallels,
    great job that you are doing, to begin with. Getting better at each new beta.
    I was able to start one program that requires a dongle now, so that's great.
    I really appreciate the step by step improvements I see in each beta.
    Network connection is a bit too complicated to get back running, hopefully you
    can fix that.
    I still have USB devices that are not showing up in the menue and in turn are inaccessible.

If it helps, it is e.g. a TIVO (HC 8000), which is not seen, and if I can gather any useful information on my Mac to help, just let me know. I just tested it with my Sony Vaio Notebook to make sure it's working properly- it is, so it's just not recognized at all. Other devices up to now at least show up in the USB Device listing, even though may not would work, but at least traceable. This is e.g. a NokiaN70 phone, where I get the good old adivice to disconnect it from a blocking process - I swear there is none I can disconnect from.

Last Q: are U planning to get us a Bluetooth driver one of these days? That would be a remedy for some devices, that can be synced.

THX for the great job you guys are doing - keep running!

3. BillInSoBe

BillInSoBe Member

Sorry... won't install Beta6.

Sorry... but I won't be installing Beta6. Sounds like there are FAR too many issues.

4. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

installed beta6 over beta5 over beta4. installed everytime paralleltools over the older version.
    network is still working.
    but shared folders gives within a german w2k the message "cannot access network name" (translated from german w2k), even when the given name for the shared folder shows up under psf:.

comment to the parallels team:
    you're doing a damn good job ! thank you very much for this great product !

5. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I use sound constantly since one of my primary uses of Parallels is to get access to my yahoo music account from the Mac. Works great. No complaints on sound from me. Based on the release notes I never suspend while running sound although suspect has other issues so I just stay away from suspend for the time being.

6. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

All networking seems to work for me in Beta6 under WinXP. No issues.

Parallels... This is starting to look really nice. Keep up the solid work!

Mark

7. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Beta6 is a BIG improvement over Beta5. I had 5 kernel panics in a 24 hour period with Beta5. None with Beta6. I even stepped out and attempted to use the shared folders function again (which panic'd Beta5 on me), and that seems to be working fine as well.

Networking is perfect for me too...no issues after upgrading from 5 to 6 and reinstalling the tools.
    Firefox, IE and Avast A/V all access the internet fine.

MacbookPro, 1G RAM, 10.4.6, WinXP SP2 with 256 MB, airport networking.

COMMENT 1: There are extra screen flashings taking place when switching into and out of full screen mode...be nice to get rid of these flashings.

COMMENT 2: Suspend featureis still slow...seems to hang at about the 90% part. Suspend should be much faster. Resume opens smoothly, I'd still like to see suspend work faster.

8. hussainahm

hussainahm Member

To run ImageTool, does the Parallels application have to be closed (guest OS shut down of course)? Reason I'm asking is, if it doesn't matter if Parallels application is running, then it would be nicer if ImageTool was integrated into Parallels.app just like Optimization option.

9. vamp07

vamp07 Member

If at all possible I would also like to see a more pleasing transition to and from full screen. I suspect that flash can't be avoided but maybe you can take the screen to black or turn it off during the resolution change? None of this is high priority...

10. wjlevin

wjlevin Bit poster

Shared Folder

Hello Parallel Folks:

I'm having trouble with getting shared folders working. I had it working briefly under 5, but while still under beta 5 I decided to designate a different folder and I have not been able to get it to work since.

My steps:
    - into Edit resouces
    - click on shared folder
    - typed a name up to "WindowsSharedFolder"
    - browsed to a folder /user/documents/Windows Shared folder
    - ensured "enabled" was checked off
    - clicked OK
    - click saved

-- But I did not see a new resources (Shared folder) in the list

Where am I going wrong???

Thanks for your help and your good work!

Wayne

11. sbatson

sbatson Bit poster

Thanks! I have posted the request. I did get a USB floppy to work as Drive B:, but not as drive A. The reason for the request is that some of the legacy OS's such as DOS, 98, etc. need a floppy to install, not to mention old software, etc.

I do hope this is taken seriously, I think it's a valid request.

Steve

12. Drewmangroup

Drewmangroup Member

Well my Epson CX-3810 all-in-one will half work. It will now scan but it won't print. The epson software the monitors the connection says there isn't one. I can be activly scanning a picture and still it won't let me print and tells me to check my printer connection. The scanning is cool but one of the features we want to use is printing pictures. And through Windows it has the right settings to use premuim photo paper. Will I be able to print and scan in the final version?

13. aleax

aleax Bit poster

Just a suggestion, sbatson: could you make an image of your floppy to an .fdd file? That might let you install DOS etc etc from the image (simulated floppy), which is faster and often handier than using the physical USB floppy drive (I do that for CDROMs -- image them once to a .iso and then mount and use the image repeatedly).

Alex

14. aleax

aleax Bit poster

shared folder; block on installing win2k SP2

Just upgraded beta5->6 and the hotfilx lets me uses the net (phew). However, the shared folder shows up (as \\PSF\Alex) but doubleclicking on it tells me "The network name cannot be found.".
    (I workaround that by mounting my MacOSX home under Network Places, since I do have Windows Sharing enabled on my Macbook Pro, but wanted to see if the Shared Folder approach might not be faster, as well as handier for not having to input username and password each time).

While trying to fix the "no networking" issue, one thing I tried was reinstalling win2k SP2 from scratch (i.e. from my CDROM's .iso image) -- a bother because then I have to go through the Windows Upgrade to IE6, SP4, etc etc, all over again, but I already had to do that when moving beta4->beta5 the other day. BUT -- win2k's setup blocks and just hangs forever at the Installing Devices screen, progressbar about 1/10 of the way. I tried removing USB connections etc, but every attempt kept repeatably failing at that very spot. Well, good thing I have a VM already installed under beta5, else I'd be in real trouble... I do worry that I may get in trouble again next time I need to reinstall the OS anyway!

Despite these teething problems I'm still quite happy with Parallels Workstation, mind you! Keep up the good work and by the time the Big Guys (VMWare, MS/VirtualPC) finally get around to supporting Mac/Intels you may have gained such a foothold in this niche to keep them away!

Alex

15. albertyong88@gmail.com

albertyong88@gmail.com Bit poster

I installed beta6, and plug my canon N670U scanner, and it detected it (XP SP2). Have done several scan, but when doing higher resolution scan (big data transfer), XP goes kernel panic into bluescreen mode.

Will VM support USB2 high speed ? Afterall, the VM is hijacking a real hardware .... ?

16. jfd

jfd Bit poster

Keyboard in fullscreen

Hi.

Thanks for a great product!

After upgrading to beta6 my attached keyboard want work in fullscreen mode. I have a MBP with an external keyboard. How can I fix this?

17. rcomeau

rcomeau Member

Beta6 still has problems with my Keyspan USB-Serial adapter

Hi,

I just installed beta 6 hoping that it would recognize theUSB-serial adapter, but lo luck yet. Here is the behaviour I observed:

1: With USB autoconnect off:
    When I select the device from the Devices->USB menu, I hear the "usb connect chime" then about a second after, I hear the "usb disconnect sound". I don't know if these are Windows sounds or Parallels sounds, but they happen when I connect a USB device so I assume the chimes are associated whith. If I popup the Devices->USB menu between the 2 chimes, I notice the device is selected. If I check again after the second chime, the menu is clear, and often the USB-Serial device dissapears from the menu for a few seconds.

Once, I managed to have Parallels capture the device, and the adapter's software recognized the existence if the device but it failed communications tests. I unplugged it and plugged in again, but was never able to get it to capture the device again (even after restarting).

2: With USB autoconnect on:
    When I plug the device in, I get the same connect chime-then-disconnect chime, then an error screen saying that the device is in use by another application. When I click OK, I get the same up-down chime and the error message. This repeats non-stop until it locks up. It once locked up in mid chime note and just kept playing the last note non-stop until I reset the VM.

Anyway, I hope this either helps someone see something I am doing incorrectly, or helps for the next beta. The main purpose for Parallell for me is to run some Windows software to talk to a serial device so I really need this. Looks promising otherwise!

Thanks,

Roch Comeau

18. DarthNoxious

DarthNoxious Bit poster

USB support in Beta 6

I have had varying degrees of luck with getting USB devices working in XP Pro with Beta 6. I have 3 different USB flash keys, one made by Corsair, one by Kingston, and one by Lexar. The Corsair works, but XP only detects it as USB 1.1, and says it could work faster. The other 2 do not work, and XP still says it detects them as USB 1.1, but then it needs a driver. I tried a 2.5" notebook drive connected to a USB --> IDE adapter, and again it was detected, but again XP wanted a driver.

Anybody got any thoughts on what driver(s) XP might be after to get a simple USB disk/flash key to work? In normal XP installs, there are no drivers needed.

I was also unsuccessful getting my Blackberry 7230e to recognize. I got the device blocked message.

19. jeffmurphy

jeffmurphy Junior Member

Bridged Wifi Bug

How about the bug mentioned in http://forum.parallels.com/thread748.html ?

When I use bridged networking with AirPort, the wrong source mac address is used in outbound packets.

In the above, the mac address ending in :2c is that of the OSX "en1" device. The address ending in "73" is the XP VM. All packets exhibit this behaviour. If Parallels is instructed to bind to the wired device ("en0") the correct bridged behaviour occurs - the source mac of all packets from the VM is set to the one ending in "73".

20. serv

serv Forum Maven

What your tcpdump shows is not a bug. This is the intended behavior and is the reason why bridging to AirPort works at all (at least for some people).