help with wireless > LAN access on MBP ?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rgarber, Apr 25, 2006.

1. rgarber

rgarber Bit poster

I've spent 24 hours reading thru as many threads as I could before posting this, so I apologize in advance if I've missed the answer elsewhere.

I have a 15" Macbook Pro / XP Home. I've confirmed via run>ipconfig that XP is getting all the right IP / DNS info. I can ping other machines on my LAN including the IP addr that OSX has on the same box.

But I can't ping / http / access IP addresses, or www. addresses, outside the LAN. I've deleted and reinstalled the networking driver in the VM, made sure that all the settings are correct, etc. For a brief time last night I was able to get out, but it killed wireless access on the OSX side. When I rebooted, I had OSX networking back, but the original problem exists again.

The only other piece of info is that in OSX network preferences, the (vi2) Ethernet Adapter is red, and comments, "The calbe for teh Ethernet Adapter (vi2) is connected, but your computer does not have an IP adress and cannot connect to the Internet."

Anyone have any clues or suggestions on why XP can get all the right IP info, but can't get out ?

Thanks.

2. VTMac

VTMac Pro

welcome to my world. There is a long thread on this very topic, but no conclusions as yet. The Parallels team had responded, but no new info for the past several days. An update from Parallels would be appreciated.

3. ricst

ricst Bit poster

The "answer"

Have you looked at the VM Properties window? There's a setting for the network adapter, and by default, it's set to ethernet. You need to reset that to use the Wireless (Apple Airport) device. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to have the selection be made automatically, based on however the Mac is connected to a network (hint, hint....)

4. rgarber

rgarber Bit poster

Yes, I've done that and everything else that's been described across the various threads.

Parallel guys: any thoughts here ? I dont seem to be the only one suffering from net issues with Macbook Pros..

Thanks.

5. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Yes , I've tried everything posted. I can get it to work on occasion, but never more than a few minutes before it quits. And sometimes it takes OSX networking with it. In both cases, waiting with no network activity randomly restores it .. at least temporarily until it fails again.

Parallels - I could run an instrumented build if that would help.

6. ricst

ricst Bit poster

WEP settings

I saw some of the issues you guys described (loss of Guest OS networking, and even loss of host networking). I switched from 128 bit WEP to 56 bit WEP, and "for now" things seem better. I haven't done an extended set of tests/observations yet. Try either disabling WEP (temporarily), or using 56 bit WEP. If you use WPA/WPA2, you may be able to "crank down" the encryption strength. You might also compensate (for weaker encryption) by using MAC address "authentication" on the WAP, if you want. I'vr seen problems with 128 bit WEP in other environments (PCs, primarily), and those issues were similar. It may be that some interface cards simply cannot handle a sustained 128 3-DES encryption rate without dropping some packets, and/or loosing the network.

7. ricst

ricst Bit poster

Wedged - Seeing what other posters see

At last, I am seeing what other posters see: total loss of external connectivity from the guest OS (WinXP Pro SP2). It can ping the local gateway, but there is no communication with the Internet. This is really bad! Please, Parallels Staff: Come up with a reasonable remedy for this serious problem.

8. mmak

mmak Member

Suggestion

I am not sure how your actual configuartion is. But I have tried this at work and home and it works. At work, I connect through ethernet, at home through Airport to a linksys wireless router (which is connected to the cable modem). I got tired of reconfiguring the VM file everytime I moved from home to work, so here is what I did:
    1. Set the VM configuration to Airport, en1, for good.
    2. At work, I turn internet sharing on in the Sharing control panel(internet tab). I select the built-in ethernet connection from the popup menu, and the airport from the list below it. ie, computers using airport will share my ethernet connection. I found this to work even if airport is off. Also, this avoids the need to get a second ip from my work, I tested that by visiting ipChicken from OS X and Win2k. The older way, having both VM and OSX use ethernet I was getting two different ip numbers.
    3. At home, I turn Internet sharing off, and now VM and OSX get different ip numbers behind the router, but the same earthlink one for the internet.
    Under this setup, both filesharing and printer sharing work great.
    I am by no means a networking guru, I hope this helps.

9. ricst

ricst Bit poster

Beta 5 update

I installed Beta 5 today and tried again, with the same VM. Same result - no Internet connectivity. Then I installed a new Win XP VM, selected en0 for network access, and the VM appears to have good network connectivity. I'll be running additional checks over the next few days. But so far, things look a fair amount better.

10. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

after installinng beta6 the network adapter within mit w2k seamlessly switches between aiport or cable, depending on if the cable is plugged in or not. :)
    no changes necessary in w2k.
    great !
    the vm parameter for network ist set to "bridged ethernet; default adapter"