Coherence Mode Crashes in Build 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by imageaid, May 22, 2007.

1. imageaid

imageaid Bit poster

Hi,

I'm running Build 3188 and Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2. Anytime I attempt to go into Coherence mode, Parallels crashes ("Fatal error in virtual machine monitor"). Doesn't matter how I try to get there (clicking a Windows application in my Mac's Dock, starting the VM and hitting the coherence button, selecting view-->coherence from the menu), it crashes every time.

Here are my system specs:
    Macbook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz. 3GB of RAM (minimum 1024 MB dedicated to Parallels).
    Parallels Build 3188

VM settings:
    Memory 1024 MB
    Hard Disk 32000 MB
    Booting -- Hard Disk, CD, Floppy
    Flags -- both unchecked
    Coherence -- Enabled (show task bar and exclude dock checked)
    No shared folders
    Video has custom screen resolutions enabled
    The other options (sound=on, usb controller autoconnect off, network adapter 1 = shared networking)

Every thing works great except for Coherence, which is what I most want (of course :).

I do have a firewall (Zone Alarm) installed on XP but I have tried Coherence with the firewall totally disabled (same result).

I have also reinstalled the Parallels tools so as to ensure that they are current.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to be thorough.

Thanks to any and all for your help and advice.

Best,
    Craig

2. rhind

rhind Member

Have you tried with no custom screen resolutions defined?

3. imageaid

imageaid Bit poster

Thanks for the response. I did try that (and just did again). Same result. I tried getting into Coherence mode three different ways (after disabling custom screen settings) all with the same results.

4. imageaid

imageaid Bit poster

5. rhind

rhind Member

I just use the inbuilt one, and Nod32 for anti-virus. Never had any trouble with them, and they both seem light-weight which is what you need for a virtualised environment.

Cheers

Russell

6. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

7. jillpmcdnc28036

jillpmcdnc28036 Bit poster

Build 3212 also has this issue

Thanks so much for your post...am a long-time user of Zone Alarm, but deleting the program from the Windows side of my MacBook instantly fixed my problem (vm crashing every time I tried to switch to coherence mode). I have Build 3212

8. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I tried disabling ZA, but Coherence still crashed. I uninstalled it completely and Coherence now works. At this point, all I really need is a free anti-virus app for the Windows side. I'm not too worried about a firewall - we have a hardware firewall on our network.

If Parallels is using Shared networking, would it be protected by the OS X built-in firewall?

-Z