Installing xp in Suse 10.2 help, please

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by Sccrman06, May 15, 2007.

1. idauto-john

idauto-john Bit poster

The fix for the issue

Hey all

This thread (http://forums.parallels.com/thread4845.html has the answer. You basically have to modify the .pvs file for your vm. You do not have to uninstall or reinstall.

I run parallels as root to get stuff to work (launch from a console prompt where I'm logged in as root as "parallels &". The & means the console isn't stuck until i close parallels.

So, shut down parallels. edit the winxp.pvs (or whatever yours is called) and find the following section:

[IDE devices]
    Disk 0:0 enabled=1
    Disk 0:0=1
    Disk 0:0 media=0
    Disk 0:0 connected=1
    Disk 0:0 image=winxp.hdd
    Disk 0:0 cylinders=16254
    Disk 0:0 heads=16
    Disk 0:0 sectors=63

Disk 0:1 enabled=1
    Disk 0:1=2
    Disk 0:1 media=0
    Disk 0:1 connected=1
    Disk 0:1 image=/share/winxp.iso

Modify it so it matches the section below. Don't change any of the above red section, as you could make your vm unusable. Just change lines in the bolded section. The changes are to media=1 and the path to /dev/cdrom

[IDE devices]
    Disk 0:0 enabled=1
    Disk 0:0=1
    Disk 0:0 media=0
    Disk 0:0 connected=1
    Disk 0:0 image=winxp.hdd
    Disk 0:0 cylinders=16254
    Disk 0:0 heads=16
    Disk 0:0 sectors=63
    Disk 0:1 enabled=1
    Disk 0:1=2
    Disk 0:1 media=1
    Disk 0:1 connected=1
    Disk 0:1 image=/dev/cdrom

Now, restart parallels and you should have the cd working.

BTW, I am running Novell's SLED 10, with a bunch of SuSE 10.1 and 10.2 packages and it all seems to be working now.

Wouldn't it be nice if the parallels support people had a FAQ for these kinds of issues

Hope this works out for you.

2. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

(sigh)...another problem

First I would like to thank everyone that posted replies to my problem. That last little hack worked like a charm. However, now I have a different problem....sigh. I can't seem to install xp pro in parallels. I have three xp cds but none of them work. By "not work" I mean after the "play" button is pressed parallels just sits at the black screen where it shows system memory--two lines.

The other problem is that when one of the cds did run, and windows installer loaded, and the blue screen came up, and I agreed to the license agreement, parallels informs me that windows is not installed on the computer (duh) and I need to insert a copy of windows cd. How did it get to this screen in the first place if it didn't have a cd in there?? Also, after trying all three cds, unsuccessfully, I gave up and came back to the forums. Please help guys, I'm so close, I think, to getting full functionality...I think...

Thanks,
    David

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. Sccrman06

Sccrman06 Junior Member

Some the first step to recovery...

...is admitting you have a problem. Well, I realized what my problem was. For the first install, one needs to have the boot order such that the cdrom is the first thing the cd boots from. That fixed the first problem.

The second problem is that my copy(s) of windows are all "upgrades." Which is code for, parallels won't install them without another valid copy of xp. Now, I've reformatted my hard drive many times with the cd I have but parallels still doesn't like it. So, now I guess I have to go buy an OEM cd from say, newegg? I'm sure as hell not paying 300$ for a retail version...

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Actually, it's windwoes itself that wont allow upgrading without a previous version already installed.

Great to hear your problems are getting sorted.