Upgrade to Vista not supported...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bobb, May 18, 2007.

1. bobb

bobb Bit poster

Hi,

After lots of frustration, I managed to move a real Windows XP Pro image over using Parallels Transporter. It was originally a Dell OEM Windows XP Pro that I updated in place to a business licensed Windows XP Pro Sp2 before transporting.

However, when I go to "Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade..." I get a message "Upgrade to Microsoft Windows Vista is not supported for your current guest operating system!".

Any ideas on why this message is appearing? Could it be some leftover stuff from the OEM installation?

If I try to just run the Vista upgrade inside the Windows XP instance, I get a different Windows message of "not compatible".

Thanks for any input...

Cheers,

Bob

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

what version of vista ?

3. Jerry

Jerry Member

If your VM is FAT32 you'll have to convert it first to NTFS.

4. bobb

bobb Bit poster

Hi,

Thanks for the input. However, the VM disk is already at NTFS. And it's Windows Vista Enterprise.

However, in looking at the disk configuration, I noticed a 39mb EISA configuration partition sitting in front of the C: partition and wonder if that's what is tripping up Parallels.

I'll try another Parallels transport from the original system but make sure it doesn't pick up the EISA config partition.

Cheers,

Bob

5. darreln

darreln Member

I bought my dad a full version of Vista Home Premium, and it would *not* allow him to upgrade XP. To upgrade, he had to buy a "upgrade" version. I could not believe it. Not sure if this is your problem, but maybe worth checking in to.

6. bobb

bobb Bit poster

Hi,

I can't even get to the point of inserting any Vista Enterprise (full or update) disk. Where it stops is when I select Parallels->Action menu->Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade... that Parallels gives the error message.

I still think it might be the EISA config partition (a FAT16 partition which cannot be deleted or updated to NTFS) that is getting in the way. I have some other systems that do not have this little partition. I'll try transporting those images. If it works, then I need to find a way to bypass or delete the EISA partition.

Thanks again for your input...

Cheers,

Bob