USB Microphone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rohela, Apr 28, 2006.

1. rohela

rohela Junior Member

Has anyone tried to use a USB microphone such as needed for voice recognition?

2. Darius

Darius Bit poster

No dice with Plantronics DSP-500

I've installed Dragon NaturallySpeaking in XP, but I can't get it to recognize my Plantronics DSP-500 USB mic. I thought with Beta 6 it would work, but not yet. XP will see the headset and try to use it, but I get an error message that says that it can't start the device.

I'm not exactly sure how to "eject" a device such as a mic from OSX and then plug it into Parallels, that might be the problem.

3. rohela

rohela Junior Member

testing micriphone

go to "sound" in system preferences found under the Apple tab and then the input tab - make changes there - test it there to see if it is working.

NOw in xp do the same thing by first going to control panel, sound, etc.

4. c789a123

c789a123 Junior Member

I have managed to "eject" the usb audio device by do: kextunload AppleUSBAudio.kext
    two times under /System/Library/Extensions with root account. Now the Ubuntu Linux VM I installed can see my iMic USB device, but it can not play or record sound, the dmesg in linux vm shows a lot usb_set_interface error message. I guess the full usb protocol emulation is not implemented yet?

5. Darius

Darius Bit poster

I tried using the kextunload solution, and the problem must be Parallels' USB support. I ejected the mic, and it disappeared the OSX sound preference pane. Then when I connect it to Windows in the VM I get the same error, "Device cannot start."

6. rohela

rohela Junior Member

I hope they solve this problem because voice recognition does not work in OSX and it would form a huge aprt of Parallels market. I have pre-ordered the proucts. Even if it does not solve this problem the success of Parallels will induce some else to enter the market and the odds are they will see the voice recognition and VOIP potential.