USB flash disk wont show-up?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jalyst, May 18, 2007.

1. jalyst

jalyst Hunter

It wont show up in my xp pro install in parallels (have parallels tools installed).
    Is this a known problem?

cheers,
    jed

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Mine works fine. Have you tried the following?

In Parallels, select View/Window (not Full Screen or Coherence).

At the bottom right of the Parallels Window, you will see a row of small icons. One of them is the Parallels USB controller. Righ click on it and make sure there is a check mark next to the USB flash drive.

If the flash drive does not show up in the list, try removing the flash drive, restarting the VM, and plugging in the flash drive while the VM is running. Then repeat the previous step.

Once you see the flash drive checked, you can return to full screen or coherence if you prefer.

3. LEn Banks

LEn Banks Bit poster

mine doesn't show either

I see it in the device list, I hear Windows recognize a device has been connected, but it doesn't show up as an identified drive in My Computer. This is the case for me on two computers.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If OS X has already grabbed it you may need to unmount it (Eject it) before Windows can have it. Even then you'll have to select it from the Devices menu in Parallels. Enabling auto-attach in the VM editor will change the playing field.

5. jalyst

jalyst Hunter

Thanks Purplish & Dkp, combo of your two suggestions has got me sailing. Strange that I didn't have to tick any of the other usb devices to get them going.

cheers,
    jed

6. jplankey

jplankey Bit poster

USB flash drive doesn't show up

I have ejected flash drive on Mac and Autoconnect is activated on parallels. Still getting this error message:

USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  7. jalyst

jalyst Hunter

dismount on osx 1st, "then" laucnh parallels for the 1st time, then launch your vm of choice (have auto connect enabled), should work fine.

cheers,
    jed

8. Captain_rightfoot

Captain_rightfoot Bit poster

I have this same problem with a Magellan GPS. As soon as I unmount it in osx about 2 seconds later it re-mounts. I unmount it and so on. Parallels doesn't have a chance as osx keeps stealing it :( :(

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Do you have Magellan software installed in OS X? If so that will have to be disabled.

10. dizzydeane

dizzydeane Member

Nice trick abt the View/Window. I always wondered what use that had. Thanks, Purplish.