How can I give more than 8GB to a VM?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by PlanetWilson, Jan 16, 2012.

1. PlanetWilson

PlanetWilson Junior Member

Is there any way to give more than 8GB to a VM? I know in VMWare that the UI doesn't alow it but you can manually edit the vmx file to go over.

Will Parallels support more than 8GB any time soon?

2. YanaYana

YanaYana

Please let me know how much RAM do you have on your Mac?

3. PlanetWilson

16GB in my MacBook Pro

4. YanaYana

YanaYana

You are not able to put more than 50% RAM to your virtual machine - all your system will become unmanageable in this case

5. PlanetWilson

That doesn't make sense. I recently only had 12GB but was able to have an 8 GB VM?

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What YanaYana should have told you first, but didn't, is that Parallels restricts the maximum RAM per VM to 8 GB.
    That 50% rule applies if you have less than 6 GB of RAM, but above that, obviously that reserving 3-4 GB for OS X should be enough.
    I'm not aware of any way to hack more (than 8 GB) RAM to the VM, you can try editing the preferences/config file for the VM manually (backup first) and see what happens.

7. TremayneC

TremayneC Bit poster

This is a crazy idea! I have 16gb on my mac and need a 12gb VM for testing. Mac OSX can run off of 2gb. Where's the sense?