HELP! Win 7 corrupted & Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jefferis, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jefferis

jefferis Member

Hi all, I encountered a strange problem and not sure the root or the source. But when I started up Parallels 7 two weeks ago, I started getting Windows 7 error messages like files not being properly installed. I've not done anything that I know of to the Win Drive an I have 90 gigs of free space. I am not sure what I should do to recover. WHen I try to save a system restore for example, it says some files are not installed.

I wonder if Parallels or it's install is messed up or causing the corruption. Also, I see that BootCamp has been updated, and don't know if I should update BC or if it is necessary... I believe I used BootCamp to install Windows 7, but it has been a while, so I don't remember.

Any help greatly appreciated...

2. jefferis

jefferis Member

BTW, F8 does not seem to allow for System Recovery Options on boot of Win 7

3. strells

strells Product Expert

Can you boot into Boot Camp OK? Does Windows run OK in this mode or are you still seeing error messages (and when do this messages appear)?

If Boot Camp runs fine, then it's just how Parallels uses it. Try deleting and recreating the VM in Parallels, reinstalling Parallels Tools in the process.

Steve

4. jefferis

jefferis Member

Will Deleting and recreating the VM remove all my programs and docs?

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

first of all you need to check if it is actually Boot Camp you are using. Restart your Mac and while booting hold an option key - if it lets you to boot to Mac or Windows - you have Boot Camp. Choose Windows and check if it works. - boot back to Mac side.

In this case virtual machine file - is just a link to Boot Camp partition and you can be sure all you data will be kept on Boot Camp even if you delete virtual machine (check size - it should be several MB).

If you don't see an option to boot to Windows or Mac - you don't have Boot Cam p(you can open Disk Utility and check there as well in "Partition" section)

so it means you don't have boot camp and all your data is kept in virtual machine file - do not delete it than.

We need the exact error message to help you and detailed steps to reproduce - make a screenshot of error message so that we can se what happens.

6. jefferis

jefferis Member

Boot Camp shows the same corruptions. I've had to order a replacement Win 7 Pro upgrade disk because mine is scratched... :-( Bummer

7. YanaYana

YanaYana

With CD you can try to recover Boot Camp or reinstall it the same way as it works on PC.