Selecting MAC Addresses

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by minge, May 24, 2007.

1. minge

minge Bit poster

Is there a method for selecting the MAC addresses used by the network adapter in Parallels?

Basically I need to use Parallels on a Mac in a mainly PC government organization, but the PC IT department require a list of MAC addresses to be used. So is there a process I can use to generate the MAC Addresses for the VMs?

2. Sator

Sator Bit poster

1)If you need to change MAC address of VM go Configuration Editor->Network adapter->Advanced.
    2)If you need several copies of your VM with different IP addresses you should Clone(they will be generated automatically)

3. minge

minge Bit poster

Thanks.

Are the MAC Addresses random or are they generated sequentially?

4. Sator

Sator Bit poster

First two numbers are 00(to prevent concur with real machines MACs) following generates randomly.

5. certsoft

certsoft Bit poster

The first three bytes on my parallels MAC address are 001A00 which actually belongs to a company in Japan according to IEEE:

00-1A-00 (hex) MATRIX INC.
    001A00 (base 16) MATRIX INC.
    Annex of Chiyoda bld. 6-1-2
    Nishi-Temma Kita-Ku
    Osaka 530-0047
    JAPAN

While they probably should have used locally assigned addresses instead of globally assigned ones, but the chances of a conflict are near zero.

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  6. minge

minge Bit poster

Thanks for your help.

I did a look up of the MAC Address in my copy of Parallels and it doesn't exist anywhere
    (00D191)