Wake from Safe Sleep Issue and Resolution

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by BigB, May 24, 2007.

1. BigB

BigB Bit poster

While running XP in Parallels build 3188 on a MacBook, my keyboard and trackpad would stop working after waking from safe sleep mode. This is the sleep mode that occurs when the battery is completely drained or removed during sleep (Safe Sleep? Deep Sleep? I'm not sure. The one where the light quits blinking). I originally thought it was an OS X issue, but it turns out it is Parallels.

This issue only occurs for me when Parallels is running and the virtual machine is set to connect USB devices automatically. With USB autoconnect off in the VM configuration, this issue has not occured. I guess that, because the keyboard and trackpad are on the USB bus, when the MacBook wakes and the VM is running with autoconnect on, the VM hijacks the keyboard and trackpad.

I was able to get past this issue without a hard reboot by opening an SSH terminal connection to the MacBook from another mac and killing Parallels. As soon as I did that, keyboard and trackpad control was returned and I was able to use the MacBook again.

I checked a bunch of posts and couldn't find this info, so I figured I'd let the rest of you in on what I found. Sorry if this was already posted. Have fun.

2. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

You need to reset the PMU (turn the machine off and turn the machine on with the power button held for 5 seconds until it beeps). You need to turn off safe sleep and delete the sleep file as it has more than likely become corrupted. Once you have deleted the sleep file then you can turn back on safe sleep.

I did it and it restored my mac to a no crashing state with paralells.

Google that info for the commands and location of the sleep file in var

3. BigB

BigB Bit poster

mattfreeman:

This issue wasn't with the PMU. As I stated, once I disabled USB autoconnect in the VM, the problem did not recur. The system was not locked up, the keyboard and trackpad were autoconnected to the VM. This was confirmed when I heard the windows error tones as I pressed random keys.
    Also, according to this page: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319 the way to reset the PMU is to power the computer off, disconnect the AC adapter, remove the battery, then press the power button for 5 seconds. Reconnect battery and/or AC Adapter and restart. But this, again, is for issues with Sleep and Wake, not the issue I was having. Again, the problem did not recur once I dissabled USB autoconnect.
    I also haven't had any other issues, so if my sleep image was corrupted, It wasn't corrupted enough to effect anything other than parallels. As I stated in my post, I was able to establish a remote SSH terminal session with the MacBook, run top to find the Parallels PID, and then kill the Parallels process. I was then able to use the system again, test the sleep modes with and without Parallels running, all without rebooting my MacBook. Highly unlikely that my sleep image was corrupt.
    Just clarifying.

4. mattfreeman

mattfreeman Member

I am using a mac pro. I do not have a battery....

The only application on my machine that was having problems was parallels.

Photoshop etc, skype, web browsers, fcut pro all worked fine.

All I could assume is that a corrupted sleep file was restoring a partially corrupted parallels vm image into memory to which you then later experienced problems...

I was getting 3/4 crashes a day and a kernel panic once a day before I disabled safe sleep and deleted the sleep image.

5. chabig

chabig Hunter

6. BigB

BigB Bit poster

one more time ...

let me clarify again:

The problem was my keyboard and trackpad (I am using a MacBook, so I don't know if this occurs with other macs) would stop working when I woke my MacBook from safe sleep.

I FIXED THE PROBLEM by DISABLING USB AUTOCONNECT in PARALLELS. I tested this issue several times. It is repeatable, and the fix I used corrected the issue.

I was hoping to help others with a similar issue correct the problem by posting my fix. I decided to post because I could not find any issues like it in the forums, although people may have this issue but think it is something else. If the keyboard and trackpad stop working, you may think the system crashed and do a hard reboot.

This issue is with parallels, as I tested the problem with and without parallels running, and with and without USB Autoconnect on.

Maybe I should have named the thread something else, maybe I can't explain it properly, I don't know. It seems to me that the issue is getting confused. Oh well.

7. chabig

chabig Hunter

Well, I'm on a MacBook too. I'll test your USB autoconnect theory and let you know whether it solves my problem--I hope so! But my problem wasn't that the keyboard and trackpad weren't recognized. It was that the machine would wake from sleep with a black screen, and often wouldn't go to sleep at all.