Parallels is ignoring me - help anyone? (CD not available, BootCamp not available)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Amber242, May 23, 2007.

1. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I paid for PD before it was ready, and was using it through all betas, up to release. I got a strange problem with current build: I can't use BootCamp partition with PD, it tries to unmount XP partition and then I get error message: unable to open partition...

I also got similar problem with real CD/DVD drive - I can't see it under PD, I even got to dump my Vista install disk to ISO to install it under PD...

I sent messages to Parallels Support SEVERAL TIMES, and I did not received anything back...

Maybe someone had such a problem and got any cure???

Thank you,

Marek

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

It's difficult to say what causes these problems, but considering that it's not like such problems are very common - let's assume that something is wrong on your Mac OS side. It's possible that some Parallels upgrades didn't go cleanly for you and causing such problems. Try re-installing the program following the instructions below:

1. Reboot your Mac.
    2. Browse the Applications folder. Open Utilities and launch Disk Utility.
    3. Select Macintosh HD on the left tab and click the "Repair Disk Permissions" button.
    4. Launch the Uninstall Parallels Desktop application (you can find it on the Parallels Desktop for Mac CD or in the downloaded Parallels Desktop for Mac DMG package) and follow the on-screen instructions. Please note that Parallels Uninstaller does not remove virtual machines from your Macintosh hard disk. It is important to use the Uninstaller of the Parallels Desktop version currently installed or newer.
    5. Delete these folders, if they can be found in your system:

/Library/StartupItems/Parallels
    /Applications/Parallels

6. You may also need to delete the following files (its recommended to restart your Macintosh computer before deleting them):

/System/Library/Extensions/vmmain.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/hypervisor.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/helper.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/ConnectUSB.kext
    /System/Library/Extensions/Pvsnet.kext

7. Repeat steps 2-3.
    8. Restart your computer again and install Parallels Desktop for Mac.

3. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

Still no luck

I've done it. I am aware that permissions may be a problem. But permissions was OK and I reinstalled PD.

No change in behaviour at all!

Still got this message when try to start VM from Bootcamp (it appears shortly after Growl says that PD ejected my Windows partition):

[​IMG]

I got quite clean install of Mac OS X (I reinstalled because I had this error and I needed working XP with PD), so I am sure that it is no problem of my system, because it is persistent, regardless of OS X "cleaness".

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Have you tried re-creating Boot Camp partition with the standard configuration?

5. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

Yes! This was done after reinstalling OS X. I've made fresh Bootcamp installation and partition...

6. Amber242

Amber242 Junior Member

I got Polish Windows XP on Bootcamp, but I think it should be no problem?