Beta6 seriously hung my machine - watch out

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dhjdhj, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Latest version installed (2.1.1812.7), seemed to be running properly - installed latest parallel tools, etc, etc. I did notice that parallel tools at one point commented that an already installed driver was NEWER than the one it wanted to install, I let it install though.

I was playing with Slingbox, which now seems to be working fine (so audio/video sync problems any more).

After a couple of switches from windows view to full-screen view and back, I jumped into full screen view again and all I got was a BLACK window. The mouse cursor was visible and I could move it around but I couldn't see anything. WORSE, the CTRL-ALT key sequence didn't work so I couldn't get back to OS X. I had to power cycle my Mac.

Very nasty - I'm not even sure I want to try reproducing this one!

David Jameson

2. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

don't forget: it is beta software. ;-)

3. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Huh, I haven't forgotten - I keep telling others this! Would you prefer that I didn't report the problem?:eek:

4. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Thank you, dhjdhj. We appreciate your help with our beta. Could you please try to reproduce this and provide some more info? Anyway, we will try to find this bug in our test lab and fix it.

5. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

no, surely not. but the way you told about the problem "watch out "etc. made comment it this way.
    it's beta and everybody has to deal with carshes....;)
    i also had several crashes this way.
    but its definitely very hard to reproduce these crashes and to give the developers exact information how they appeared.
    mostly these crashes appeared on my side when the guest os was running a lot of intensive services like video in fullscreen etc.

6. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Oh, I see - the "watch out" was simply intended as a reminder to be careful (i.e, make sure you don't still have a document open in the Mac (say)) while switching as there seems to be a problem.
    This is the first crash I've seen since I started using it when Beta1 came out. Sometimes it's easy to get very comfortable (because PW really works very well) and then forget that not all the bugs have been worked out :)
    D

7. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Of course - I just need to do a new backup before I go after this one again :)
    D

8. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

OK, don't know if this is related but I had suspended the VM (which I normally don't do) and I just restarted it. I did not switch into full screen but just opened Slingbox. The picture came up and then it froze - the entire VM session is also frozen. I'm assuming I'll have to kill the VM.

D

9. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

So far, after about a dozen switches, with Slingbox running, I'm unable to reproduce the crash (sigh)
    D