Automatic network selection?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dhjdhj, Apr 30, 2006.

1. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

When the VM starts up, if it detects that there's no network connection, it should try switching to one of the other configurations automatically instead of my having to stop the VM, choose the other network (wired vs Airport) and start again.

David Jameson

2. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

actually it switches to the network connection which has a connection to the internet.
    it does on my system.
    searching the network configurations configured in mac os doesnt make sense. imho.

3. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

It does NOT do that on mine - I get an error message that there's no connectivity. I'm not proposing that it accesses the Mac OS network configurations. I'm suggesting that it cycles around the configurations defined for the VM in the "Network" field.

4. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

maybe its a good idea to post your configuration to compare it to other users, which dont have this problem ?:)

5. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

I can get automatic connection to work but it seems to take about a minute to find an IP address on bootup. If I assign manual IP addresses then it connects immediately on bootup.

Anyone getting automatic assignment to work fast? I've reverted to manual assignment just because it seems to work better.

6. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Standard MacPro laptop, Remember that I'm not talking about aquiring an IP address through DHCP. I'm talking about automatically choosing between en0 or en1. In particular, I want to be able to prioritise automatically. I note there's an option called "Default" but haven't looked to see what that does. (The help doesn't work!)

7. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

Looks like the option "Default" may do the trick. I never noticed that option in earlier betas and since I'm unable to read the online help due to PW insisting on using Safari, I'm a little hobbled.

D

8. skywalker

skywalker Junior Member

you're right. my settings are set to default.
    i am using a static ip for my airport, another for my ethernet and a thrid one for the guest os (w2k) network adapter. i can pull out the ethernet cable while browsing and it switches seamlessly to the airport and viceversa