Beta6 video fullscreen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by luca, Apr 29, 2006.

1. luca

luca Member

This product is wonderful!

The cube effect is very cool

I am very pleased to see full-screen mode but I cannot find how to change resolution automatically.

Now, I use window mode at 1024x768. When I turn to full screen it will keep the same 1024x768. I would like to use 1440x900 (MacBook Pro). Although it is possible for me to change manually every time the Windows settings to 1440x900, when I go back to window mode, it will stay in 1440x900. This is a too big window to be displayed entirely on the screen....i. e. it will not revert to 1024x768 when going back to window mode. So I have again to change manually the Windows settings back to 1024x768.

Is there a way to setup a resolution for window mode and another one for fullscreen?
    I suspect it is possible but I could not find any documentation on it.

Thanks,
    Luca

2. David Witkowski

David Witkowski Junior Member

I agree, the product is absolutely great, thanks for taking care of MAC users!!!

I too would like to have the resolution switch to full native screen resolution when switching to full screen (this is done in the old and SLOW virtual PC).

If you could auto switch to native and then back to the user set resolution when back to non-full screen that would be perfect.

Thanks!
    [

QUOTE=luca]This product is wonderful!

The cube effect is very cool

I am very pleased to see full-screen mode but I cannot find how to change resolution automatically.

Now, I use window mode at 1024x768. When I turn to full screen it will keep the same 1024x768. I would like to use 1440x900 (MacBook Pro). Although it is possible for me to change manually every time the Windows settings to 1440x900, when I go back to window mode, it will stay in 1440x900. This is a too big window to be displayed entirely on the screen....i. e. it will not revert to 1024x768 when going back to window mode. So I have again to change manually the Windows settings back to 1024x768.

Is there a way to setup a resolution for window mode and another one for fullscreen?
    I suspect it is possible but I could not find any documentation on it.

Thanks,
    Luca[/QUOTE]

3. jweitzman

jweitzman Bit poster

This kind of resolution switching would be great, but short of that, allowing the console window to be resized to be smaller than the resolution of the Windows desktop while in windowed mode would be an alternative. That way you can keep the window relatively small and switch into full screen mode when you use it. Both options would be even better!

4. RickMaddy

RickMaddy Member

Yes, this has been working fine for me since beta 5. First you need to to uncheck the "Change Mac OS X Resolution" setting under User Interface in the PW preferences dialog. Then restart PW and your guest OS in a non-full screen mode. Set the resolution of the guest OS to what you want for non-full screen mode. Once this is set you are done. Click on the full screen button and you should now be in full screen at native resolution. Return back to windowed mode (Ctrl-Option) and you should be back to the smaller res.

This has been working for me on my MacBook Pro with Windows 2000 SP4. Cool.

5. luca

luca Member

Solution for fullscreen video

Excellent!!! Wonderful! This is exactly the solution. It is working in XP too. Thank you Rick!

May I suggest Parallels to include this in the documentation?

Luca

6. sandifop

sandifop Junior Member

Win 98 Resolution Settings

I tried to set the resolution using Windows 98 Settings and 640x480 is the only choice. I also gave the forum hint (above) a go without luck.

Within PW's settings, video is not one of the settings listed (i.e., networking, sound, etc).

17" iMac, 1gig RAM, Firmware 1.0.1

7. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Hello sandifop,
    I guess that you didn't install Parallels Tools.
    If it doesn't install automatically you can install them manually (First choose "Install Parallels Tools" and then go to the CD-rom in your Windows Explorer and start installation)
    To fix resolutions problem you should at least install Parallels Video Driver (from the same installation CD)
    Regards

8. sandifop

sandifop Junior Member

Tools

Sir;

Thanks for the Sunday "above and beyond" reply. I selected the install option and did not see a progress bar. I left PW up for about 30 minutes after I selected the install. I will try again incase the Tools install was unsuccessful.

ps

9. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

It was probably driver signuture warning message was on the background. Do Alt-Tab key combination to bring it to front in such cases.

10. sandifop

sandifop Junior Member

Sorry (bad beta tester) but I ran off to attempt reinstalling Tools before I read your last response, Andrew. After 3 attempts where the Tools install did nothing the fourth walked through the install properly. This allowed me to alter resolutions as you implied. Thanks.

I still get an error when Tools first loads during boot: I submitted a report through the bug reporter. Thanks and hope I nudge your product further down the good road.

Now, off to attempt internet connections through wifi with 98...this could be a challenge.

11. illitrate

illitrate Bit poster

I think I might have found a bug.
    when I switch to fullscreen mode, the resolution changes just fine - but when i try to switch back, pressing the hotkey combination (i'm using the default alt-enter) does nothing

the thing i did wonder, i'm using a 2 screen setup like this:
    [​IMG]
    with os x's primary screen as teh external cinema display on the right, and so i put parallels into fullscreen on the imac's own display (i.e. the secondary display) on the left.
    but it doesn't seem possible to switch it back without shutting down the guest os. and then, when i restart, parallels, it always opens it's windows back on the primary display

12. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

I found that if you do nothing more than switch to full screen, then immediately press the key combo to switch back, nothing happens. Found out why:

When you switch resolutions, the mouse focus is not yet on the new screen. If you simply move your mouse cursor, you will notice it change. Pressing the key combo at this point works fine.

so, just remember to move the mouse to set the focus onto your new screen resolution prior to hitting the key combo.

13. illitrate

illitrate Bit poster

ah, yes, looks like you're right
    i change the hotkeys to ctrl-alt-shift-f and now it works everytime.
    oops - apologies for the false alarm

14. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Got the same thing. I am on 17 " MBP and I noticed this several times. It gets stock in fullscreen and Alt-enter do not work.