Is there a 'preferred' version of Windows to use with Parallels?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Steven Ray, Feb 18, 2007.

1. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

IE 7 does not run on Windows 2000. The latest version of IE to run on Windows 2000 is IE 6. But if you are like me, you can use Firefox to surf the internet in Windows 2000 (running on Parallels 1970 on my Macbook) instead. I have not used IE myself since the release of Firefox except to access Windows Update.

I use AVG AntiVirus Free on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

[​IMG]

2. Steven Ray

Steven Ray Junior Member

Actually, isn't XP required if you want to run Boot Camp -- which you might want or need to do in circumstances where Parallels hasn't worked out certain bugs (e.g., I recall reading about problems using some USB devices under Parallels)?

Also, the Boot Camp functionality that will be built into Leopard will, as far as I know, not support any pre-XP versions of Windows.

3. spacejockeys

spacejockeys Bit poster

Is my WinXP Home setup freeze related to this discussion?

I've just purchased Parallels for a core duo macbook pro, and am trying to install WinXP Home. Keeps freezing when it gets to the devices. Any way around this, or must I buy *another* version/copy of WinXP? (I'm not too excited about Vista so prefer to avoid it.)

4. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Spacejockeys....probably not related.
    Check to make sure that you have Parallels version 3188. If not, download it from the Parallels web site.
    If that doesn't help, try posting your problem as a new topic in this same forum.

5. Al_Q

Al_Q Member

As far as I know there are no significant security differences between Home and Pro. The main advantage of Pro is in a business network situation where you want to access file servers printers etc using Active Directory.

I have XP Home SP2 (OEM) and it works just fine. The disadvantage of OEM is that it is licensed for use on only one computer. Once it's registered that's the only place you can legally use it. If you later move to another computer Microsoft won't reactivate it. On the other hand, it typically costs half as much or less, so unless you plan to migrate to new hardware frequently it is the economical solution.

6. John Howard

John Howard Hunter

I bought an OEM version of WinXP Pro off of Amazon.com and it works well in my VM. Security was a concern which is why I went with XP Pro.

Also, once you log in to your VM you can inprove performance (speed, stability) by going to control panel/system/advanced/performance settings and then selecting "adjust for best performance".

This will turn off all the basically useless but resource-hungry XP visual styles and graphics and revert the system to "classic" (Win 2000 and earlier) video settings.

I have a 2 gig RAM iMac and this has improved things significantly.

7. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

The Service Packs apply to both, so yes Home also is currently at SP2. There are a lot of differences between the two versions, most of which revolve around the networking features. Basically, if all you want to do is connect to the Internet, Home Edition is fine. If you need to access Domain resources, then you should go for XP Pro.

Also important to some is that XP Home only supports one processor. while Pro supports two. If Parallels eventually does support multiple cores/processors, XP Pro will support it. There is also no 64-bit version of XP Home, if that matters.

Home Edition does not include Remote Desktop (although you can download that from MS's site) or Automatic System Recovery. Home Edition does not have the Encrypted File System option.

-Z

8. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

There are a few, such as the Encrypted File System and access to file level access control, but for most people this isn't an issue. There's also the matter of XP Pro having C2 certification, but that falls under the category of "if you don't know what that is then you probably don't need it." :)

-Z