AAaahhhhh Cannot connect to remote ftp site!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Robster, May 30, 2007.

1. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

I am REALLY hoping someone here can help me.

I have two installs of Windows XP under Parallels and neither of them will properly connect to the remote ftp site.

If I use Boot-camp it works just fine?

So what happens?

I CAN ftp in from command line and connect, give my name and password, all works fine so far BUT

When I do an LS NOTHING HAPPENS, it does not seem to be able to pass a directory list back to my machine.

I CAN ping any machine in the network but cannot connect to any of them.

I am told that when I VPN in I should get the 'shares' automatically configured, this does not happen either.

It seems as if part of IP is working but not other parts.

When VPN connected I can connect fine to the intranet.

I have no idea what is going on and my IT staff are saying 'well you are using a Mac so it is doing something'.

PLEASE HELP.

Robin

2. Robster

Robster Hunter

When I cancel the ftp ls command I get a message cannot open data connection!!!!!!

I have now tried this on THREE different XP Pro VM instances and NON of them will connect.

HEEEEEeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllppppppppppppppppppp

3. Ankou

Ankou Guest

Hello, Robster
    If you use some firewall applications try to disable them.

4. Robster

Robster Hunter

Hi

I tried disabling AVG and it made no difference.

In fact I have EXACTLY the same AVG configuration on my Boot Camp partition and this works fine!!!!!!!!!

Any other ideas as it is kind of killing me.

I would HATE to give my Mac up for a PC because of this.

Cheers.

Robin

5. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Are you using bridged or host networking? Is the VPN connection established on the OSX side of the XP side? What kind of VPN? Cisco? PPTP?

6. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Let me guess - you're using shared networking. If so, your Windows client is hidden behind your Mac and the ftp server can't open a connection back to it. Use the ftp client in your Mac or give passive ftp a try.

7. Robster

Robster Hunter

Damn

I had just discovered this issue for myself.

I am using a brand new VM and had not realised it was set-up with Shared Networking.

Using bridged then ftp from command line works fine.

Thanks you.

UNFORTUNATELY even though I have an excellent ftp client on the Mac (Fetch) it does not seem to want to work against the Corporate web-site!!!!!!

It gets a connection refused when trying to get the file list?

It DOES connect okay, just gets refused when getting list of files.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Robin

8. AlanH

AlanH Pro

As dkp suggests, try using Passive FTP. It's usually less demanding if there are firewalls anywhere between you and the server.

FTP uses two connections.

- The Control connection is initiated by your client and gets you logged in and handles the FTP commands.

- A Data connection is created when you want to transfer any data to or from the server, including directory listings.

Active FTP requires the server to be able to initiate a reverse Data connection back to your client, and this is probably failing. Passive mode means your client initiates all Data connections, regardless of the direction of data transfer. Since you are able to set up the Control connection to the server OK, to log in, chances are you can also set up Data connections in the same direction.