Parallels unexpectedly quits with no error

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jclermont, May 30, 2007.

1. jclermont

jclermont Bit poster

The last few weeks, Parallels has been increasingly prone to shutting down with no warning. I looked in the bugreports folder and I see the following log each time I get one of these unexpected quits.

Code:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Parallels Desktop 2.5  for Mac OS X version 2.5 Build 3188.0 from 2007-03-07
    Received SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault
    	Access to fault address: 0x1bc36000
    	unknown signal sender: 1

The fault address varies, but the rest of the message is the same. I have 10GB of RAM in this Mac Pro, and I have 1344MB allocated to the VM (running XP SP2).

I don't know if this is enough information to go on, or if you need more details. Please let me know. I need to resolve this soon. It is beginning to affect my productivity.

Thank you,
    Joel Clermont

2. Kraken

Kraken Member

I've been noticing this more recently as well. My latest one just happened:
    Code:
    Parallels Desktop 2.5  for Mac OS X version 2.5 Build 3188.0 from 2007-03-07
    Received SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault
    	Access to fault address: 0x1d22000
    	unknown signal sender: 1

I am the lone mac in a sea of PCs. I do a lot of graphics work and have been doing more .Net front-end development recently, interfacing with our developers, if that helps at all.

3. jclermont

jclermont Bit poster

I'm not sure if there is a pattern or not, but I primarily use my Parallels VM for .NET development. I typically have Outlook 2007, VS 2005 (1 or 2 instances), SQL 2005 Management Studio and a few instances of IE7 running.

More often than not, the unexpected quit has happened while interacting with a web application in the browser.

4. macjack

macjack Bit poster

Me Too

I've noticed that every time I start up my VM (which is not every day), the hard drive starts to chug for a while. I have Windows Update set to automatically download updates, so I think that this is most of it. At one time that was to only happen once a month, but I think it is almost daily now.

Anyway, I've noticed that my VM has crashed suddenly during this instance more than once. If I've been up for 15 minutes, then I'll be up for hours.

I too would be interested in any answers.

5. jclermont

jclermont Bit poster

In my situation, there does not seem to be a time factor involved with the crashes. I can't recall a circumstance where it crashed within the first hour of booting the VM. More often than not the VM will be up for hours or even a couple days before quitting unexpectedly.

I also have not noticed a correlation between hard disk activity and the crashes. I will pay closer attention to that and report back if I see any pattern.

6. Kraken

Kraken Member

I think this might have something to do with it. I'll watch more closely, but if I remember correctly, it usually happens when testing something like this. I've usually got VS 2005, Firefox and IE6 open. Occasionally I'll have VS2003 as well since we're still supporting some older apps. Oh and I usually have MS Office 2004 and iTunes on the Mac side open all the time.

7. DerekS

DerekS Member

I get the same unexpected shutdowns doing VS2005 debugging against IE6. Happens once or twice a day - sooner or later it's going to bork the WinXP install, I bet.

8. sditmer

sditmer Bit poster

I also have experienced these crashes. In my case it usually occurs when I have VS2005 open and am working with a web app in IE. The crash almost always occurs upon a button or link click.

I also have Quicken installed in the WinXP VM. I never run any other apps when I'm running Quicken. On one occasion the VM crashed while I was working in Quicken.

I am in the VM and VS2005 daily and generally for the entire day. I'd say that I experience one crash a week on average. However, there was one occasion where the VM crashed every five minutes for about an hour. At that point I decided that it was time to quit for the day ;)

I work on a Mac Pro with 3gb RAM. I also have a MBP 17" with 2gb RAM. I've rarely, if ever, had the VM crash on the MBP.

Not sure if this sheds any more light on the subject but if it helps to come up with a solution I'll be very happy.

Steve

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  9. jclermont

jclermont Bit poster

I hadn't thought about it until I read your post, but the crash usually occurred for me when I click a link or button as well. Also, I too have MBP at home (with 3GB) and I can't say I've ever had the VM crash, even though I use it the exact same way. I don't know if it's the 10GB of RAM in the Mac Pro that causes the crash, or something else, but I'd really like to get some resolution to this.