no start bar or icons in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Keladry, May 30, 2007.

1. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

Hi, I'm using Parallels to run Windows XP on my Macbook, and up until yesterday everything was fine (well it was pretty slow when i had both mac and windows appications running at the same time but there weren't any real problems).
    But then when I started it up, it came up with the normal login screen, i logged in, but everything was gone. My background picture was there, but no start bar or icons. I tried ctrl clicking to see if it ws working, but no menu came up. I tried restarting parallels several times, and i also restarted the mac, but nothing worked.
    Oh and i should probably mention that I'm using a disk image or something, because it froze during installation. I don't completely understand it, but i followed instructions online and that worked, but I don't know if that would make any difference.
    So I would be very grateful if someone could help me (but I don't know very advanced things with computers so if you can help, you will have to take me through the process step by step). Thankyou

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Look for a thin blue line on one of the four sides. If you can see it, move your cursor over it until you get a double arrow. Drag to expand.

3. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

No, it's not that the start bar doesn't fit in the window, it actually isn't there. I've tried different sizes (including fullscreen), and like I said, when i right clicked, nothing happened.

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

It may have been accidentally dragged to minimum size. In this case, it will just be a thin blue line.

It may have also been accidentally moved to another side. In this case, it will not be on the bottom.

5. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

No, I'm sure it's not there. None of my folders or icons like my computer, recycle bin etc are there either. I was wondering if there's anything I can do other than reinstall windows to fix this.

6. constant

constant Forum Maven

I think your at the point where a repair installation is necessary.

7. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

how do you do that? do you start as normal installation and it comes up as an option, or do i have to do something else? And will that delete everything i have on it? Also, do you know any way of getting files from parallels windows to the mac desktop, without actually opening parallels? (because obviously i can't open it, and I don't want to lose my work). Thankyou for helping me.

8. constant

constant Forum Maven

Start the install as normal. Don't choose the first repair option, instead choose install, then accept the inane EULA, which ironically is less restrictive than Apple's. But that's another rant. Then on the next screen choose repair installation. Follow all the steps there after as normal.

No, you can't copy files without starting the VM. But fear not, the repair install does not remove or change anything. Except to repair things, like the registry, and the desktop, and so on.

9. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

oh, ok, I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

It didn't work! I did what you said, and it 'repaired' windows, but it still doesn't work. I also took it to the computer guy at school, and he said to do the same thing. At least he has a CD that gives me access to my folders, so if I have to reinstall, I won't lose my work. (Don't ask me how it works...). I don't know what else to do....and the computer guy isn't really very helpful.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  10. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

please help!

11. constant

constant Forum Maven

Send me a pm with your skype username.

12. Keladry

Keladry Bit poster

i don't have skype...should I pm you with my email?