Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by veggiedude, May 31, 2007.

1. twynne

twynne Hunter

I just located my original purchase receipt email and it was exactly one year ago today? Is there anything about getting free upgrades for a year as you do with many software packages? Or is it strictly based on version numbers???

2. MBX

MBX Member

i just purchased it. because until now i was pretty happy with parallels work and think it's worth it.

hope my download link comes pretty soon and not later than the 1-hour period that was mentioned in the purchase-legals.

3. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

umm.. its pre order.. you wont be getting a download for a couple weeks at least.

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

50% or 20% ?

50% not

when I clicked on the link I was offered 20%

the contact us link on the shopping cart page was broken or overloaded

I am temporarily in Denmark but live in UK so if controled by IP number
    I have been shunted to a German agent

Hugh W

5. MBX

MBX Member

oh damn. my fault then. i thought this was immediate download.

6. SouthPaw

SouthPaw Junior Member

Agreed....

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

hmmm i get the same thing as you Hugh.. 20% discount.... not the 50% advertised.

8. twynne

twynne Hunter

It's 20% off the normal upgrade price (ie. $10 off of $49.99 = $39.99).

9. Lessien

Lessien Bit poster

I'm not sure that I'm going to upgrade to version 3.0. After installing Vista on using 3188, I almost immediately removed it because of poor graphics performance.

I thank the Parallels team for making it very easy to run Windows side-by-side on my Mac. Parallels is a great insurance policy but I don't use Windows often enough to justify spending an additional $40 - $80 on Parallels 3.0.

10. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

It's 20% off the standard upgrade price, or 50% off the full retail price.

My problem is the exchange rate conversion built into their online store is using old/invalid data, costing me $5 more vs todays actual current exchange rates.

Regards,
    Shane.

11. flightvector

flightvector Bit poster

Parallels Holiday Upgrade Promotion

During the 2006 Holidays, those who ordered Parallels between Dec 13th (which is at least when I first heard about this promotion) and Dec 24th, online or through CDW, were promised free *Major* upgrades for a one year period thereafter.

Parallels estimated that this deal was akin to a $50 savings for a single upgrade, since that was how much a future upgrade was estimated to cost at that time.

Here is a link to a TUAW blog posting about the deal:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2006/12/13/buy-parallels-now-and-get-one-year-free-updates/

If Parallels decides to renege on this deal, I will be royally pissed. The language of the offer clearly intended this promotion to save you hard money on at least one major upgrade.

All regular customers received free 2.x upgrades, so any claim that this promotion was to end at 3.0 is dishonest and would amount to me having been gypped into buying a fake promotion that actually offered nothing at all.

I haven't received any notification of a free 3.0 upgrade, but rest assured I will fight this matter if this is indeed what is taking place.

12. BlueTrance

BlueTrance Junior Member

I wish I was brave enough for paying 40 bucks just for four vague sentences and three 332x250 screenshots... I'm sorry.

13. pureeville

pureeville Bit poster

Hi everybody. I'd like to start by pointing out a grammatical mistake:

"Significantly enhancements performance and audio quality"

I followed the development of Parallels Desktop for Mac, having first the opportunity to purchase for $20, and later for $40, and finally at $80 I gave in.

The Parallels team has done a good job. I had felt bad, pushing for OS/2-like "seamless" integration with Windows. Who knew that the illusion could be pulled off so successfully with a VM?

There was significant added value to me in the form of access to beta versions and substantial new features without cost. If the developers still find this work interesting, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that there could be more to come. I think those who bought Parallels early were pleasantly suprised with what was possible.

14. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Opinion follows and it's worth exactly what you pay for it...

Version 3.0 is not an upgrade (meaning bug fix) to 2.5 - it is a replacement. 2.5 is the end of life for the 2.x series of releases and the clock restarts with 3.x.

My take on this is that technical and warranty support is still provided for 2.5 as appropriate, but I doubt there will be another bug fix for 2.5. This could change if there's any serious security flaw that starts a class action suit into gear and that's a stretch.

The 50% discount is not bad for a product refresh. A far better deal than the mess you get from Microsoft that requires you to install every previous version to recover from a disk loss. I'm going to try the preview first before I buy. Honestly, I like build 3188 just fine and for me to buy a replacement they need to provide solutions to problems I'm not aware I have.

15. twynne

twynne Hunter

It's definitely looking like a good idea to wait for an 'official' post from at least someone at Parallels about this. All it would take to scam a lot of people is to get hold of the emails of people on these forums and do a bulk mailing. None of the upgrade purchase pages appears to be at a parallels.com domain.

16. twynne

twynne Hunter

I noticed the calculations from GBP to USD seemed a bit off as well... I think I'll wait until tomorrow to see 1) an official post in this forum from Parallels staff and 2) correct exchange rates.

I'm not suggesting either is a definite!

17. snodman

snodman Member

I'm sure they will do what they contracted to do for people who bought during the "Free updates for a Year" promotion. Just exactly this kind of update was what they promised people for free, and I'm sure people who got in on that deal will be covered for free. And I figure that there may be THREE major upgrades over the span of 2007. This one that includes the much awaited 3D support, the non trivial Leopard native update (3.1 perhaps?) and the Aero Glass Vista one (which might be waiting for the Panther update, so they might roll them together to make the next big update a 3.5 version).

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  18. constant

constant Forum Maven

Parallels have always said that a minor upgrade is going from a 2.x version to another 2.x version, with a major upgrade being from a 2.x version to a 3.x version.

The promotional offer clearly states all major upgrades are free for 12 months. This, by Parallels' own definition is 2.x to 3.x.

Anyone who bought under this promotion should EXPECT a free upgrade to 3.0.

19. clairenoyeslouie

clairenoyeslouie Bit poster

Just got an email from Parallels and they say that when they release 3.0 on or about June 6, those who were promised the 12 months free major upgrades will indeed be emailed a key so there will be no charge for this upgrade for those who purchased December 2006 during the promotion.

20. snodman

snodman Member

Great! Just what I expected.