No Network Connections in Windows installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by pwagener, Jan 19, 2007.

1. pwagener

pwagener Bit poster

Hi All,

I have a BootCamp partition that works great when booting directly into Windows. However, when running the same installation of Windows through Parallels, something odd happens to my network configuration. Specifically, the 'Network Connections' control panel is completely blank. No network connections, so no network. No good.

All my efforts to create a new network connection from within Parallels are for naught: the Wizard process goes well enough, but no new connection ever shows up. I'm using Parallels build #3120 (RC1), and am currently configured to use 'Shared Networking' (although I've tried all three network configurations).

I've paid for phone support, but so far no one has returned my call... I'm guessing the support folks are swamped.

Anyone else had this problem? Know a solution? Have a suggestion?

Many Thanks,

Peter

2. SnowZ

SnowZ Bit poster

Hi Peter,
    Did You Connect En1?

3. leejsci

leejsci Member

Dear pwagener

like snowz said. if you check your network in system pref in OSX.. you should see en2 and en3 (en1 should be your real network card) set you location to be automatic and make sure en2 and en3 (virtual network card installed by parallels) have green lights next to it then select share networking from VM configuration...
    Good luck.

JL

4. pwagener

pwagener Bit poster

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Currently in OS X's Network Preferences, Parallels has set up two network interfaces: "Parallels Host-Guest" and "Parallels NAT". Bot are currently active, and have green lights next to them in the Network Status panel.

In Parallels, my Windows VM configuration is summarized as "Network Adapter 1; Shared networking". Unfortunately, booting the VM still shows no network connections within Windows.

Should my virtual network interfaces be named "en2" and "en3"? Is there a way to get Parallels to re-install those virtual network devices?

Thanks,

Peter

5. drval

drval Pro

Network Connections are working fine for me using Shared Networking on MBP C2D.

6. CrewBlue

CrewBlue Bit poster

Would this be the same fix if my Windows XPP VM cannot recognize my Verizon air card?
    It works fine with Wi-fi and the aircard is working in OSX:(

7. pwagener

pwagener Bit poster

I would guess this is a different problem. If you can get any sort of a network on the OS X side (Air Card or otherwise), then the VM should be able to use that connection for network access.

8. BodyCheck

BodyCheck Bit poster

I'm also having problems with the network. It worked fine after I installed version 3120, but I just rebooted my MBP and it fails to acquire an IP. I am using wifi and it seems to properly detect whether it is 'connected'. Issue occurs in two VM's (Bootcamp, normal WinXP). One used shared and other bridged setting. I haven't installed the airport update yet.

I have not checked if rebooting my MBP solves the problem, but it should not occur in the first place as I can (obviously ;) ) connect to the internet with my MBP.

More details:
    I removed the NIC in windows, and after restarting I found that the NIC wasn't enabled in Parallels tools. Using the checkbox I enabled it and got an error here: wincore.cpp, line 3486. (maybe because the name is now changed to #2?)

Fixing permission on my harddisk did not fix the network problem.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  9. Dave Scully

Dave Scully Bit poster

Verizon Aircard help please

I am new to Mac and to say I am frustrated isn't the half of it. I have a Verizon Aircard that works perfectly fine on the MAC side. However, it is useless on the Windows side. I see some of the suggestions on here but frankly I need my hand held a little better than what I see so far. I know this will work and there is an internal conflict somewhere between windows/parallels/and MAC OS X. Please, can anyone give me simple easy to follow instructions that will allow me to complete this task and make me happy that I bought a Mac again!

Thanks

10. agrawalyogesh

agrawalyogesh Bit poster

Hi,
    I am also having the same problem.
    Currently in OS X's Network Preferences, Parallels has set up two network interfaces: "Parallels Host-Guest" and "Parallels NAT". Both have red lights next to them in the Network Status panel.
    For both of them it says your computer doesn't have a IP address and so cannot be connected.

In Parallels, my Windows VM configuration is summarized as "Network Adapter 1; Shared networking".

any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yogesh

11. cybertubby

cybertubby Member

Yogesh, I've been using shared networking mostly successfully since maybe June 2006. This evening, it all went byebye. the two Parallels interfaces had red lights in the Preferences Network pane.

I fixed it by going to the OSX Preferences Sharing pane and adding en3 to the list of interfaces allowed to share. I believe that previously I'd fixed my network by REMOVING en3 from sharing, so I can't say I understand this at all. The assigned network IP address does not respect the settings in Parallels/Preferences/Network (which it did before today).
    So it's still slightly broken - I need a predictable address for the Mac side.

12. SC77

SC77 Bit poster

This seems like the answer to my problem, except there is no other network connection other than the airport / wi-fi. No en2,3 or Parallels host-guest or NAT. Now what? where do I go to establish them?

13. DamienMcKenna

DamienMcKenna Bit poster

I'm having a similar problem, all was fine for a few weeks through the then current builds but in the last few days I've not been able to get them online at all, even with the latest build 3188. I have the VMs configured to log into a domain and when I try to login I get an error saying that the domain controller was unavailable. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

14. b.c

b.c Junior Member

to SC77:

they should have been setup by the installer when you installed Parallels.
    (have you tried running the uninstaller, then run the installer again?)

to manually enable the network interfaces, try:

go into System Preferences... -> Network
    then under the "Show" popup, choose: Network Port Configurations

click on New... then in the popup you'll see choices under Port for various available network interfaces including:
    Ethernet Adaptor (en2), Ethernet Adaptor (en3)
    which if I recall are Parallels Host-Guest and Parallels NAT interfaces, respectively.
    If you uninstall Parallels those 2 choices don't show up in the popup.

if you enable those and then click the Apply button, the interfaces should show up in the Show: Network Status pane.

don't know if this will solve your problem - I'm still having some shared networking problems partially working....

15. SC77

SC77 Bit poster

To say this is frustrating is an understatement. I have re-installed OS-X, Parallels, and Windows. I now have in OS-X networking En0: Ethernet, En1:AirPort, En2: Parallels Host-Guest and En3: Parallels NAT.

The

In Parallels cnfiguration editor I have Network Adaptor: Bridged Ethernet and in the dropdown have selected Default but have En0: Eternet and En1: AirPort/Wireless available.

In Windows I have use the Network wizard to set up a direct conection using a full time dsl conection.

STILL not conected to the internet.

16. VTMac

VTMac Pro

sc77 - many DSL providers only allow a single connection to the internet. So if you don't have a router between your DSL modem and your computer, bridged networking will never work and it has nothing to do with Parallels. If that's the case, you need to switch to shared network. This setting allows your Mac and Parallels to use the Mac's connection to the internet simulataneously.

17. ///M3Dave

///M3Dave Bit poster

I'm new to mac, just bought my first one. I am also having the same problem. Is there a fix for this or a configuration that will get me online with the window side? I only need to use IE for work.

18. dgriffin

dgriffin Bit poster

Parallels Tools

Peter,
    I experienced the same problem as you connecting to the internet with Windows Vista. I tried all that was recommended to you in the forum to no avail. I then stumbled upon http://fiveforefun.blogspot.com/2007/03/parallels.html (see below) and immediately I was connected to the internet. I'm hopeful this helps.

"...Finally, after a lot of drama and hair-pulling I discovered that you need to install Parallels Tools first. This option is found on the Actions menu, and it just takes a couple of minutes once you have the VM started and are logged in. Once I did this, Vista restarted and then immediately connected to the network and everything went smoothly."

Dina

19. orbison

orbison Junior Member

I feel like I've tried everything!

Okay... I've installed, re-installed... all of that jazz.

I can't get XP on my network... this is what I've tried thus far (aside from re-installing, which I've also done):

1) In Network Prefereces - on Mac - I've got green lights next to "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)" and "Ethernet Adapter (en3)". When I change "Location" (at top) to "Automatic" (I choose my Network Name below that)... I get Parallels Host-Guess (in Show) and also Parallels NAT.

2) In OS X Preferences / Sharing / Internet I've currently got Inertnet Sharing "On" sharing Airport Connection, with the following ports on: Built-In Ethernet / Built-In Firewire / Ethernet Adapter (en2) -- (en3 is NOT checked). (Firewall is On... only the last 3 are highlighted blue, iTunes, iPhoto and Network Time..... Under Services, only "Remote Apple Events" and "Printer Sharing" are checked.)

3) In Parallels Configuration I make sure that I am using "Shared Networking" (Network Adapter 1).

I've tried a billion different ways, it seems, yet I CAN'T GET CONNECTED IN XP!

It's driving me a little nuts, if you can't tell. Please help. Thanks.