Upgrading to new Mac

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Camden, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Camden

Camden Bit poster

Hi all,
    I have a 2 year old Macbook Pro running Lion and Parallels 7 (Windows 7) with no issues, but want to upgrade this Mac to a new Macbook pro at next upgrade cycle. Is there any way to transfer parallels and Windows to the new Mac without purchasing new software?
    The old Mac hard disc will be erased and the Mac recycled via Apple's new return old Macs scheme.
    I have purchased the Parallels 7 DVD copy and have the DVD disc for Windows 7.

Thanks.

2. strells

strells Product Expert

Just copy over the Parallels folder from your Documents folder, install Parallels on the new machine, and then double-click the .pvm file for your virtual machine. That's all you should need to do.

Steve

3. Camden

Camden Bit poster

Thank you Strells. That is amazingly simple and stress-free.

4. EugeneS

EugeneS Bit poster

I'm doing the same thing and my .pvm file is located in user/library/parallels. Should I create a folder in library and copy the .pvm file there or move it to a folder in documents?

Thanks.

5. Camden

Camden Bit poster

Hi,

Does the same advice also apply to updating another Mac (Lion OS) using Parallels 7 to access Windows 7 on a Bootcamp partition?

Thanks again.