To Parallels: Those who have paid the upgrade fee...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by UKP, Jun 1, 2007.

1. UKP

UKP Member

Those who have paid the upgrade fee how about letting us download the latest beta/rc version?

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

I don't think that's what you paid for.

3. UKP

UKP Member

I realise it's not what I paid for - I paid for version 3.0 which is not out yet.

I am asking if they will consider making the beta's/rc available or not. If they dont - thats fine - if they do, its an added bonus.

4. mkneller

mkneller Bit poster

Beta DL for paid upgraders...

I agree, having just forked out for the upgrade (and having been an early adopter right from day one) it would be nice to be offered the beta to have a play with.

I've downloaded every beta/release candidate as soon as they were available so I was a bit surprised to find out that the beta for version 3 wouldn't be released to us common folk...

5. daj

daj Member

I Agree

I totally agree -- I was a tester of the very first version on the software and immediately paid for it as soon as it became a product. I have always upgraded & tested and I have now paid my upgrade for 3.0.

It would be nice to reward loyal customers with a look at it.

David

6. vioccc

vioccc Member

Guys, if you want to be beta testers, just apply to be a beta tester... I'm just a "common folk" like all of you's, I applied to the beta program and got to play with the latest beta versions... I don't know if they'll still accept new testers for this round of beta versions but it costs nothing to apply.

By the way, making the beta program private has been an excellent decision by Parallel's team. While the beta forum for previous public beta version had been quite spoiled by regular trolls and useless whining, the new private beta forum is fantastic with loads constructive critisism and very active participation of Parallels' staff. We really feel like Parallels is listening to their beta testers and doing their best to make the next version of Parallels suit most. I'm confident that Parallels 3 is going to be an awsome product.

7. valechox

valechox Junior Member

I paid the reduced upgrade fee too....and would also appreciate receiving the beta of 3.0

8. cparker

cparker Junior Member

Unaware...

I was unaware that the beta program had gone private. I would not have hesitated for one second to join the beta program if I had known about it. My parallels installation works great, so I don't look at the forums, or even the website that much. I try to read Ben's blog, but I don't think there was mention of the beta going private. So part of me is happy that they are so close to a release. Part of me is sad, that I didn't get to help mold it, and run it early. Don't get me wrong, I already bought the upgrade, as a leap of blind faith on my part. I just hope its as good as the previous releases have been.

9. luomat

luomat Hunter

Meanwhile they've abandoned paying customers

Hey, wow, that's great that they've set themselves up a nice little sandbox where they can all play nice together, but they have utterly abandoned their paying customers on these forums.

It appears they've simply washed their hands of these forums, leaving us to fend for ourselves.

And now they've convinced themselves that they don't need to bug fix, they can just release a new version and squeeze another $40 or more from their current userbase, who they have let pay for their buggy software thus far.

I've had an unanswered question about dual monitors and coherence for a month and a half:

http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=54074&posted=1#post54074

So excuse me for being less than thrilled that they've gone underground with a bunch of close friends while paid users have been left swinging in the wind.

10. constant

constant Forum Maven

Some of you just can't see the forest for the trees.

I don't use Desktop, but I was fully aware of beta testing. According to Parallels, they had in excess of 1,000 beta testers.

You pre-paid for software that will be available in less than a week.

YOU PRE-PAID.

YOU DID NOT REGISTER FOR BETA TESTING.

Stop trying to blame others for your own ignorance.

11. AlanH

AlanH Pro

You're excused. I hope you will also excuse me for being less than sympathetic.

12. UKP

UKP Member

How do you know I or anyone else in this thread did not register to beta test?

How do you know it's out in less than a week? Hope this is true.

How can we big ignorant, if we fully understand we bought version 3.0 in advance?

And for what it is worth, I did register to be a beta tester, but had no reply. Guess I must have not met their criteria, never mind.

The Parallels email clearly states 3.0 is out in a few weeks, not within the week - so this is why I ask, if that's ok with you.

13. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

those will be the close friends who bothered to sign up as a beta tester and were selected by Parallels to be one... The beta forum is full of first time posters.. so I'd hardly say they were "close friends".

14. twynne

twynne Hunter

I must admit I too am starting to take exception to the way the beta testing has been handled. I've tested every public release of Parallels since it was first introduced, and after receiving the upgrade email and visiting the forum was the first I'd ever heard that beta testing had gone 'private'.

I just wish Parallels (SWSoft) had been a bit more forthcoming... maybe an email to registered users informing us that the testing would no longer be public and inviting people to register. I personally like being able to have some input to a product before it's considered final.

And yes - I know that people who spend a great deal of time on the Parallels forum/website may have realised and registered, but I don't tend to hang out in these forums unless I have a need.

15. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

How could they possibly know of your interest to be a beta tester? They did put a link in the support tab and it has been discussed here for a very long time. You really do need to rethink your role in not being a member of the beta testing fraternity.

16. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

17. twynne

twynne Hunter

Don't patronise me please. I don't believe there's any 'whining' anywhere above - merely constructive criticism of the way SWSoft handles communication with their users. A simple email to registered users saying 'Hey, we know we've had public betas up to this point but we're taking it private so please register if you're interested.' would have sufficed. Otherwise how are those of us that don't live in the forum to know that anything has changed.

Pardon me for expressing my views.

18. Da_Brain

Da_Brain Junior Member

IM not a beta tester of Parallels, BUT in all the beta testing I have ever done it is understood that beta testing Requires active involvment in the on going Beta, not just a test at ones convienence!

If you were more active I bet you would of been aware of a lot more!

Just some food for thought!

19. jbmelby

jbmelby Member

My $.02 worth:

Public betas are an exception. Most beta testing is restricted, and it's not incumbent upon a company to announce that a beta program is private.

20. twynne

twynne Hunter

I'm not suggesting that it's a requirement that they notify anyone of a beta program. AS A COURTESY to those of us that have been using/testing it faithfully from the beginning it would have been nice to have been told it was going private.

To be clear, I USE Parallels, I like Parallels, and I will continue to use (and pay for) Parallels for the foreseeable future. I just think the communication could be better. Companies that don't capitalise on the loyalty of their customers are missing an opportunity.