Broken Games - Speak up here if you want to see a particular game working.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by krayola, Jun 10, 2007.

1. KraftyOne

KraftyOne Bit poster

Everquest 2. It loads in Parallels on Windows 7 (on 2011 Macbook Air 1.8 ghz i7) but the graphics are totally broken.

2. Oclair

Oclair Junior Member

Money.cnn.com has reviewed Parallels 7 disclosing incompatibilities with Paralles 7 and the Apple Multi-Touch Trackpad in Windows. Also the article details that the compatibility and behavior of the Mouse is completely different than how a mouse behaves in Windows leading to Software normally working perfectly in Parallels 7 to be glitched by a lack of Windows Mouse conformity.
    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds..._windows_gaming_in_os_x_with_parallels_7.html

3. MacGamer404

MacGamer404 Bit poster

Might and Magic: Heroes VI

Please, make Might and Magic: Heroes VI working!
    It keeps telling me that "Your video card does not meet the minimum requirements",
    despite my GPU (AMD Radeon 6750M 1GB GDDR5) meets them, and in virtual machine settings :
    video RAM is set to maximum, and both 3D acceleration and Vertical synchronization are enabled.

Minimal requirements of the game :
    * Minimum 512 MB of Video RAM
    * Vertex Shader 3.0
    * Pixel Shader 3.0
    * Vertex Texture support with R32F or R16F format
    * Render Target support with R32F and G16R16F format
    * DirectX 9.0c

These features are supported by my GPU, so the problem is related to Parallels Desktop 7.

4. Ottomatic

Ottomatic Bit poster

I bought Fable III a couple days ago and it was running fine on my Windows XP virtual machine (some textures weren't working, tattoos and scars mostly show up all white) but then I was trying to access the virtual machine from a different account and ended up messing up the virtual machine entirely. I created a new vm with windows 7 and now I get the same problem. Probably will end up creating another XP vm and use that one to just play Fable III

5. Somian

Somian Bit poster

fahrenheit

Fahrenheit (The Indigo Prophecy) still doesn't work :( I just wanted to play it on my windows XP vm and it doesn't work. (graphics bugs) So i won't be able to play this game again because my macs (late 2011 iMac and early 2011 macbook pro) both don't support windows xp on bootcamp anymore and this game only runs on xp.

6. SakibS

SakibS Hunter

I have tried playing it with OpenGL and everything i see is white in the game..

Can someone please help me with this problem..

Sakibs [​IMG]

7. WalyBman

WalyBman Bit poster

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition. I have it via steam. I'm running Win 8 (I know pre-beta os, but everything else seems to work pretty darn well), with 8gb, 1 gb video, and 6 cores dedicated on my late 2011 mbp 2.2 i7 with 16gb of ram. I've even got swtor running just fine. BB:LE goes to start up, and doesn't even get to a window opening... I'll probably be wiping this bootcamp/vm install as soon as I can afford a win7ult oem(I just spent all of my money on this new mbp/ram)...

8. skopch

skopch Bit poster

@Somian

I actually thought the same as you and wanted to play Indigo Prophecy, but could never get it to work with Parallels 6-7 and my XP VM. I also really wanted to hold on to my XP VM for some reason. Well, the XP VM became corrupted and I accidentally wrote over my good backup, so I bit the bullet and installed Windows 7 in Parallels 7. Best change ever. Every single game I have in Steam, including Indigo Prophecy works nearly flawlessly. I have the top of the line 2010 iMac, and Arkham Asylum, Crysis, the Bioshocks, and Mass Effects all work as expected and with good frame rates too. The weird graphical bugs in Indigo Prophecy went away as well and I didn't have to adjust the settings at all for Windows 7. It's definitely worth the upgrade.

9. VikramH

VikramH Bit poster

A3

There is this game called Project A3 that I wanna play. It's a very old MMORPG, and the only problem i get is that it says

"Program cannot run on virtual machine"

i looked around a little, and it said that VM Fusion has a work around, where u remove traces of the VM being... well virtual. This includes, renaming the drive and switching off some pointers and flags. Is there any workaround for parallels? I need to trick the program into thinking its not on a virtual machine

Any response would be aprpeciated.
    Many thanks

10. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

14 PAGES AND COUNTING....

Torchlight 2

This used to work in Windows 7 & 8 until the latest patch, Build 8.0.18305

EXTREMELY frustrating. On Saturday, I played the game for almost 4 hours straight. Not a single issue... On Sunday, after patching, it broke. I sent in a report every time I got the error (freezing and rebooting the OS automatically each time you click the check box for any quest acceptance)

So, I created a fresh installation of both 7 and 8 to see if there were just corruption issues and it still did not work under either OS.

This is a Steam game so I started a new profile in the game and started over with a completely different character type. And the error (freeze, then auto-reboot) still happens.

I have sent this in as a ticket as well and hove not heard back from anyone aside from the automated ticket responder.

11. Lindzo

Lindzo Bit poster

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare – Windows Based Steam Games

I have recently bought Parallels for Mac just for this very game, and just like all the other good Steam games, they are only brought out for PC.
    So I installed Parallels onto my Mac and had no issues.
    I then downloaded Steam and that worked fine as well.
    I then downloaded the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, it took a very long time but in the end I got there. But when I launch the program I just get a black screen with no sound. But it doesn't crash or say that it's not responding, and I had a look at my steam account and it says I've played it for 19 minutes, which is the time I spent altogether waiting for the game to load after numerous attempts.

Please help?

Also, my shift+ tab shortcut won't work with steam on parallels either.

Regards.

12. serv

serv Forum Maven

Lindzo,

Chivalry works in Windows 7 VM for me. Can you make it hang with black screen, generate a Problem Report via Parallels Help menu and post report ID here.

13. Lindzo

Lindzo Bit poster

Serv,
    I have created a report ID as you requested: 19400532

14. Lindzo

Lindzo Bit poster

Serv,
    Would it matter if my VM is Windows 8 release preview??

15. serv

serv Forum Maven

Lindzo,

First of all I'd suggest to configure your VM per game system requirements: 2 CPU and 2Gb of RAM. If that doesn't help, you can try disabling shared folders, there still are applications that get confused by UNC paths. If nothing helps then indeed the game may not be compatible with Windows 8 Preview. To be fair however, quick googling reveals that it runs ok in Windows 8 Pro for some people.
    But even if the game runs, the performance will likely be be limited by NVIDIA 9400 in your Mac. That chip doesn't use dedicated VRAM and has never been top performer.

16. TownKrier

TownKrier Bit poster

My XCOM: Enemy Unknown game crashes about 90% of the time on load giving me an error about alpha blending. ("video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F) which is required to run this game." )

I'm not sure why i'm getting this error as I have a late 2012 iMac with NVidia Geforce 680MX 2048mb, 24 gb ram, 3.2 ghz I5.

I tried to sweep the drivers clean with Driver Sweep and reinstalling the game. Anything else to try?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  17. r00m14

r00m14 Bit poster

Wings of Prey?

also any other of the Il2 series that might not work.

18. r00m14

r00m14 Bit poster

oh yes, I should point out what the issues was. The game loads fine and all the "non-in game" stuff are working like the menus, but in-game, everything is completely black. the gui and the subtitles seems work though.

19. muchmore

muchmore Bit poster

I can get Champions Online to work, but it is unplayable - I would like to make a humble request that support for this game be added to Parallels 8. Thanks!

20. DavidR78

DavidR78 Bit poster

I use a Mac with M1 Max and use latest Paralells and windows 11 in it. Windows run well but every time I try to start world of warcraft it crashes windows and reboots it ? The game runs well natively on the same computer and works well with windows 11 on other computers. It seems to be some incompatible issue with Parallells even though it is a very old game. Ram I have 64 gb and 1 Tb hd. Suggestions how to fixe this problem ?