Installation of Parallels 7 causes catastrophic failure.

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JuiceD, Jan 23, 2012.

1. MariyaA

MariyaA Junior Member

JuiceD,

Here is a link to a Parallels File share:
    ftp://fe.parallels.com/32c85f02010b8c0f30238672fbb600bb

You can find instructions on how to upload large files here:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/9082

if you have troubles with FileZilla, you can also upload the dump the following way:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/9101

(you can compress the dump before uploading)

If you encounter any troubles with uploading the dump, one of Parallels Technical support engineers can help you with the process, but we will require some contact details (phone, email)

2. JuiceD

JuiceD Member

Uploaded and awaiting assessment, thanks for all your help with this :)

3. Trefptyc

Trefptyc Parallels Developers

Zalloc panic

JuiceD,

Thanks for your help and really sorry for delay - we had Mountain Lion issues.

As the matter of the fact, the crash occurs in Apple's kernel itself - you met a bad pointer deference in zalloc function. It means Apple's zone allocator corruption. Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee that Parallels drivers are the root cause of the problem. In accordance to Apple's engineer the reason of zone corruption may be quite different: even bad memory region may affect. But if you don't mind, I'd like to continue the investigation. Could you reproduce with 2 additional system flags (additional to debug=, _panic_ip=, etc)? These flags are "-zc -zp" and they are aimed to turn on assertion checks for zones.

Thank you in advance!

-Anna-

4. JuiceD

JuiceD Member

Will do.

Updates to follow.

5. JuiceD

JuiceD Member

Did the method for capturing Kernel Panics change with Mountain Lion, I upgraded today to see if it would resolve this issue and it has not.

So I went about to capture those logs you wanted with the additional options, but I can't seem to get it to dump the file onto my laptop like before?

6. JuiceD

JuiceD Member

Progress:

I have upgraded to Lion 10.8.1 and upgraded Parallels to version 8.

I can now boot into OS X with no nvram limitations on my RAM. However when launching parallels it just cases the system to instant reboot.

I tried to limit the memory to Parallels with the command provided in this thread but it still causes an instant boot. Ideas?