Parallels Service & 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daleski75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 87racer

87racer Member

I am unsure why the 3,2 key combo is not working for some but it does work for me. Some users on the apple forums have issues with the 2011 MBA & Lion but others do not. I would suggest trying again if you don't like terminal or messing with com.apple.boot.plist. Try holding 3 & 2 immediately after clicking restart and holding until you see your desktop. Either way though as long as you get into 32-bit mode it should work for now.

As for USB, there should be no issues. The USB and network modules are separate and only the networking kext fails to load. I just tested with my built in SD card slot and a SanDisk flash drive and they both work as in Lion.

I might try to mess around to get networking working tomorrow while the parallels team is working. In the Lion DP it took them a while to get anything out so I'm not so optimistic for a quick fix from them.

This, most likely, has nothing to do with Parallels and is probably a Windows issue. Once a VM is started it is up to Windows to boot succesfully. The Parallels installer probably just crashed (it happens) and left a driver halfway installed which when Windows tries to load on booting causes a BSOD. Try Windows safe mode(F8 on startup) to uninstall a driver or reinstall Parallels Tools.

P.S. all my testing for now is done on a 2010 MBA.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

You're right - USB is fine. I used your launcher and my USB is fine. Just need network now :)

Thanks for all the help!!

3. PascalRod

PascalRod Bit poster

Hi GeoffreyZ,
    the solution works for me with a previously installed Parallels 7 with the Parallels tools & Windows 7: everything was installed under Lion before my upgrade to Mountain Lion. (I have an iMac 24' from 2009)
    Thanks 87racer for your testings and findings !!

4. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

OK thanks I'll install Parallels Tools from my Snow Leopard Partition and then try again in Mountain Lion. Any help with the Network Adapter would make my day!

5. RudsonM

RudsonM Bit poster

Didin't work for me:( I try like 5 times.....When I try to launcher parallels show this MSG dyld:DYLD_environment variables being ignored because main executable(/usr/libexec/security-authtrampoline) is setuid or setgid

I hope they update Parallels soon I need my Revit!!! Ohhh Dear...Need to install OX Lion Back:(((

6. SylvainP

SylvainP Junior Member

works for me !

I can confirm that the method described by 87racer and PascalRod worked fine for me. No need to rewrite critical .plist files and messing around in ML.

I got in 32 bit mode in OS ML on my MBA 13" 2011 (latest) on a second try today, by pressing and holding 3 and 2 at startup from the very beginning (i.e., holding while I was pressing the Power), then until it was so long that nothing was going on that I stopped pressing them, then the FileVault early logon window instantly showed up and I entered my password. After hitting enter, I immediately kept pressing the 3 and 2 keys until the desktop appeared, just to be sure ;-)

Fair enough, the Apple/About this Mac/More Info/System, under 'Software' , did report '64-bit Kernel and Extensions' as 'no'...

Parallels triggered a bunch of error messages in a system console in ML even before I attempted anything - those messages appeared to have to do with 'kexts' that could not be loaded at startup (through launchagent or launchdaemon maybe?), but I kept my cool and followed your advices, folks.

I put Parallels Services back into ~/Library/Parallels (PS: it is *not* in user/Library/Parallels !)

Then I downloaded 87racer's small Parallels Desktop Launcher script and clicked the app version of the script. It asked me to authenticate with a password in order to execute the Applescript.

I then launched the Parallels Desktop app (finally !) and I got a warning about the network extension not working, I ignored it, and fired my Windows 7 vm, and voilà !

Works fine, except for the network. I care a little less about that, as long as file sharing between guest and host OSes would work, which does.

Thanks a million to 87racer for making this so under so little time after the ML Dev Prev 1 came out ! And thanks to Pascal for breaking it down into a short list of steps for newbs like me.

Go Parallels Team, you have everything you need to know right here ;-)

Cheers,

Sylvain

7. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I've got a temporary workaround to my networking issue - I've plugged a wireless USB adapter in, set it up in my VM and unbelievably it works!! :))

Not perfect but will do for now!

8. 87racer

87racer Member

I'm sure your step, "I put Parallels Services back into ~/Library/Parallels (PS: it is *not* in user/Library/Parallels !)" is related to doing an upgrade versus a clean install of ML but I would like to know where it was for you so I can update my instructions. Could you give a path to where it gets put?

Also could you clarify "~/Library/Parallels (PS: it is *not* in user/Library/Parallels !)" as the ~ represents your home folder. So ~/Library/Parallels is just shorthand for /Users/<username>/Library/Parallels and Parallels Services should not be there. /Library/Parallels is on the root of your partition and this is where Parallels Services should be. Is this what you meant?

Try repairing permissions through Disk Utility. Open Disk Utility from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app and click your ML partition, then click repair disk permissions.

9. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

I don't have a file /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app for my version 6.0.12106.692267. Is there another place where to look for it?

10. Parallels Desktop 7 will not load

I boot in 32 bit mode and then execute the Parallels 6 Desktop Launcher. However, I have Parallels 7 Desktop. Not sure if that makes a difference. Parralels tries to load and then I get this error:

Unable to connect to Parallels Service.

Make sure that the prl_disp_service process is active and it is not blocked by Firewall. For details, please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/en/8089. If the problem persists, contact the Parallels support team for assistan

11. 87racer

87racer Member

Is there a folder /Library/Parallels/ ?
    OR
    Are you trying to run Parallels from a different partition? Like your Lion partition? It will be in that path but on the partition that Parallels is installed to. Also, it is unlikely that running Parallels will work from a Lion partition from within ML.

Just try rebooting (remember to boot into 32-bit mode as it will try to revert) and see what happens. If restarting doesnt work try to restart the service as described by the Parallels KB article and report back the results of that.

12. david q

david q Member

has anyone gotten paralles to work with 10.8?

13. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

Yes. There is a /Library/Parallels but no .app in it. I have only one partition and excitedly installed Mountain Lion (we thought Apple would name it Snow Lion :). But then shock: Parallels not working. I'd like to avoid having to go back to (lame) Lion.

I already booted 32 bit. Did not help.

P.S. My console spits out the following:

18.02.12 20:42:46,319 com.apple.launchd.peruser.502: (com.parallels.vm.prl_pcproxy[2225]) posix_spawn("/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/PlugIns/Parallels NAPT Service.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_naptd", ...): 2: No such file or directory

14. 87racer

87racer Member

Ok so based on what other users have reported, check the root of your partition for a folder called "Incompatible Software" and see if the app got put in there. If it did just copy it back to the /Library/Parallels folder and try again.

15. I used the terminal commands to set 32bit mode. Does that also get reverted each time you boot? Also, when I tried to restart the service, in terminal, I get a message saying no such service. I definitely did move the service from the Incompatible Software folder to the Parallels folder. Also, in the Incompatible Software folder is a AppData.plist file. Should that also be removed?

16. I used the terminal commands to set 32bit mode. Does that also get reverted each time you boot? Also, when I tried to restart the service, in terminal, I get a message saying no such service. I definitely did move the service from the Incompatible Software folder to the Parallels folder. Also, in the Incompatible Software folder is a AppData.plist file. Should that also be removed?

17. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

That was a part of it. Thanks for the pointer. But now I get Unable to Load Parallels Driver and am asked to reboot. But I just did that. - And just this moment I get popups that the system extensions can't be used :-(

18. 87racer

87racer Member

Im unsure about the terminal commands. It does set it in NVRAM so I would think it would stay until you do a NVRAM reset.

Try just reinstalling Parallels in ML. It will almost surely fix the issue and be far quicker than trying to troubleshoot.
    OR
    You can set the permissions back to root:wheel by running these:
    sudo chown -R 0:0 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6"
    sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6"
    Then try the launcher once more.

19. 87racer

87racer Member

Good news! Networking is now working! Can now check making someones day off my todo list. :)
    I also integrated the fix into the launcher(v2) so now all we need is some 64-bit support from the Parallels Team.

Check out my same link...
    Parallels Desktop 7 on Mountain Lion (10.8)

20. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

Additionally after booting once again I found these in the log:

18.02.12 21:39:59,270 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hid_hook.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,270 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,271 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,271 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_usb_connect.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,271 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_vnic.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,359 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hid_hook.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,360 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_hypervisor.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,360 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_netbridge.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,360 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_usb_connect.kext.
    18.02.12 21:39:59,360 com.apple.kextcache: Can't open CFBundle for /System/Library/Extensions/prl_vnic.kext.

Any help on that?