Parallels Service & 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daleski75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. 87racer

87racer Member

You can set the permissions back to root:wheel by running these:
    sudo chown -R 0:0 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6"
    sudo chmod -R 755 "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6"
    Then try the launcher once more.

OR

Try just reinstalling Parallels in ML. It will almost surely fix the issue and be far quicker than trying to troubleshoot.

2. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

I applied the above commands and now after reboot I don't get the messages any more. However, Parallels still tells me that it can't find the driver and asks me to reboot again. I'll try to re-install also but that will likely take some time as I have to download the installer once again.

P.S. I was too fast. There are still messages in the log:

18.02.12 21:58:05,739 com.apple.kextd: Can't open CFBundle for /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_netbridge.kext.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,739 com.apple.kextd: Can't open CFBundle for /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_netbridge.kext.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,739 com.apple.kextd: Error: Kext /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_netbridge.kext - not found/unable to create.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,743 Parallels: Failed to load kernel extension prl_netbridge.kext
    18.02.12 21:58:05,748 Parallels: /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_netbridge.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
    18.02.12 21:58:05,755 Parallels: Loading kernel extension prl_vnic.kext
    18.02.12 21:58:05,764 com.apple.kextd: Can't open CFBundle for /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_vnic.kext.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,765 com.apple.kextd: Can't open CFBundle for /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_vnic.kext.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,765 com.apple.kextd: Error: Kext /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_vnic.kext - not found/unable to create.
    18.02.12 21:58:05,769 Parallels: Failed to load kernel extension prl_vnic.kext
    18.02.12 21:58:05,779 Parallels: /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_vnic.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) not found; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  3. 87racer

87racer Member

Yea I would say it would be easiest to reinstall. For some reason it is looking for kexts in "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/" when they should be in "/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/" Check to see if the kexts are in the correct location and if not try moving them there. There should be 5 of them all starting with prl_

4. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

I had a look in the meantime and the folder is empty (why?). Just downloading the installer which (as mentioned) will take a couple of minutes...

5. 87racer

87racer Member

strange. while you are downloading the installer trying downloading and extracting these into that folder. They are the 5 kexts pulled form my computer.
    Once you extract them you need to run the chown and chmod commands again. Then try the launcher.

6. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

In the meantime the download had completed and I re-installed. Still no luck. Now I get the following:

18.02.12 22:42:51,409 com.apple.kextd: Can't load /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_usb_connect.kext - authentication problems.
    18.02.12 22:42:51,468 Parallels: Failed to load kernel extension prl_usb_connect.kext
    18.02.12 22:42:51,475 Parallels: /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_usb_connect.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) authentication failure (file ownership/permissions); check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).

and a couple more. It's already late here and I'll probably have a break for the night. If you have any other idea I'd be grateful. Please leave a reply. Thanks so far for the efforts. Much appreciated!

I also re-run the chmods with no change in the above messages.

7. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

You my friend are awesome! Networking is working perfectly! Thanks :)))

8. 87racer

87racer Member

Could you post a screenshot (CMD+Shift+3) of your Parallels Services.app contents that looks like this
    [​IMG]

9. Whodakat

Whodakat Bit poster

Wow, there seems to be a lot of complicated stuff going on in this forum. ML installed fairly easy in a VM for me. No 3,2 whatever or moving kernel files around. I'm just running the latest version of Parallels 7. My first problem came with getting Parallels Tools installed. I had to manually point the VM to the .dmg, but no biggie. However, the one issue that remains (and the reason I'm in this forum) is the crazy trackpad! It does not seem to recognize bluetooth items, except in a generic form. When I go to TrackPad in system preferences it says nothing is connected... even though I am moving the cursor with it. I should mention that the trackpad does work, just the gestures are for my main OS, Lion, so half the fun of trying the new OS (gestures) aren't working. I then assumed that like the DVD ROM sometimes the main OS and the VM don't like sharing so like you do with the DVD ROM, I released the USB Bluetooth module and it works... kind of. The trackpad works, and even gestures work in the guest OS, but the freaking pointer doesn't show up! I can blindly move the pointer to a corner and see that its working, I just can't move the pointer around as I can't see it.

So, does anyone have any ideas what is up? Its running in 64 bit mode, parallels tools are installed , trackpad and gestures work, in fact, it seems everything is working just fine... except I can't see the stupid pointer! Surely one of you guys can tell me why!

(Word of advice for anyone playing around with releasing the bluetooth... make sure you know whats up if all your peripherals are bluetooth, because they won't work in the main OS)

10. 87racer

87racer Member

This thread is dealing with getting Parallels Desktop working on a native Mountain Lion install not Mountain Lion in a VM. I would start another thread for that. Also, you might check out MacRumors forums as they have a thread going with some users reporting flawless success with running ML in Parallels. Just some starting points though, you might trying different combinations of Video settings in the VM configuration>hardware menu. Probably a video issue rather than a mouse issue.

11. I reinstalled Parallels and downloaded Parallels Launcher 2. Parallels will open and then I attempt to open my VM. the vm loads and then I get the message saying there is no network adapter. That is followed by a message saying "There was a problem updating Parallel Tools." I am sure this is because there seems to be no network adapter.

Before I open the VM, in Parallels configuration, what network adapter should I select? Is there another way to resolve this?

Thanks,
    Bob

12. 87racer

87racer Member

Try removing and readding the network adapter in the vm configuration. select shared or bridged and it should work fine.

13. Thanks to everyone on this thread...so much good information. I set the network adapter to "Default" from "Bridged". It now works fine. I was still getting the Parallels Tools error so I uninstalled Tools from inside Windows. I then reinstalled Parallel Tools and all is good. Working perfectly now.

Thanks 87racer and others.

Bob

14. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

Looks all the same. I noticed that the created symbolic link is missing the /10.6 inside (/Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/prl_usb_connect.kext instead of /Library/Parallels/Parallels Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_usb_connect.kext). Very strange. Maybe that's the reason I get the "grey screen" after launching your launcher. I'll give up for the moment since I noticed that I have a 2nd issue that ML does not recognize my netatalk coupled time machine.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'll keep an eye on this thread and will come back asap.

Cheers

P.S. As a side note: Going back to Lion means a blank install. You need to swipe the whole disk as Lion complains amount a newer installation (10.8) which it can't cope with.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion Bit poster

Deep Regret

Upgraded to Mountain Lion and now really wish I hadn't, have any of you successfully rolled back to 10.7 from the APP store. It's times like this when disks come in handy...

For the few whistles and bells I cant go without the functionality of every day life.

Sadly, unless a fix comes out that does not involve a fresh reinstall of PD7, I will have to rely on my Time Machine back up.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

16. qwerty-par

qwerty-par Junior Member

I had a USB with Lion created during the 2nd download (search Google for Lion Clean Install). That worked (after swiping ML completely). Now I'm waiting for the updates (will take a couple of hours here). Time for re-installing docs from git and other apps from wherever in the net...

17. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

Parallels Desktop Launcher results in error

Everything works fine on my MacBook Air but when I run the launcher on my iMac I get the error: "The command exited with non-zero status". Anyone have thoughts on this. How can I resolve it?

18. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

Booting in 32 bit mode

I haven't seen mentioned yet, that booting ML into 32 bit mode will limit ability to connect to other computers on your network. At least for me it does. When I revert back to a 64bit boot, I can connect to other computers on same network but, of course, Parallels will not work.

19. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

Ahhhh...that makes sense now...couldn't work out why connecting to other machines had stopped working...that's a bit of an issue :(

20. BobPhin

BobPhin Bit poster

Knowing about it is half the battle. I can live with it. I'll just reboot to 32 bit when I need to use Parallels and use 64 bit when I need to connect to other computers. It's a little inconvenient but I can live with it until the Parallels team get up to speed with ML.