gnome 3 and paralles

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by david q, Jul 16, 2011.

1. david q

david q Member

I have the current system reguirments for gnome 3 but each time I try to load it I am getting fail safe mode dose paralles even support it? My mac is macbook 2.4ghz 8gb of ram with 128mb of video

2. KentonT

KentonT Member

Same Issue Here

I am also completely unable to run Gnome 3 in "regular" mode - it always "falls back" in both Fedora and OpenSUSE, even with latest patches to both OS's applied. I am running Lion 10.7.1 and the latest Parallels version - 6.0.12094, July 13 2011.

At this point, I believe that it's impossible to run any of the next-gen linux shells with full 3D support - Ubuntu Unity is completely broken in the latest Parallels release + OSX Lion, and the two distros pushing Gnome3 that I'm aware of (Fedora and OpenSUSE) don't work either.

Is there any way to get an update on progress against these flaws?

3. serv

serv Forum Maven

Oh yeah, next-gen linux shells...
    To enable Gnome 3 in PD6 right now you need to either disable SELinux or replace /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper with symbolic link to /bin/true.
    Regarding Unity bug that surfaced in Lion, there's no simple solution yet. You have to wait for PD6 update.

4. KentonT

KentonT Member

Eureka!

Thanks serv, the symlink route worked perfectly.

Understood on the Lion/Unity problem....can you share a timeline for that patch to be released?

Thanks again!

5. david q

david q Member

I could not find the file

disable SELinux or replace /usr/libexec/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper with symbolic link to /bin/true

I am using ubuntu 11.4

6. KentonT

KentonT Member

The symlink trick only works for Gnome 3 (Fedora, etc), not Ubuntu (which uses Unity).

7. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

If you have actually installed Gnome 3 on Natty then I think you'll find the file you have to symlink to bin/true is /usr/lib/gnome-session/gnome-session-check-accelerated-helper

If you haven't installed Gnome 3 you may want to wait until 11.10.

8. Banned

Can not get gnome 3 working on archlinux, even if link the helper file to /bin/true,

9. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

I do have Gnome 3 working on Arch (Linux arch 3.0-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 17 21:55:57 CEST 2011 x86_64). It doesn't require the /bin/true symlink. It does, however, require a fair bit of work to get Parallels Tools to install. I needed to symlink an init.d directory, patch the Parallels Tools, upgrade a python script to Python 3, install Parallels Tools, and then manually register the DAEMONS and MODULES. Once Parallels Tools installed I could follow the ArchWiki to install Gnome 3.

Sorry that I cannot replicate exactly my steps, but it is possible.

10. Banned

Worked, thanks JEarles, I think the most important step for arch is you need a symlink init.d to rc.d. The parallels tools installation report succeed, but while I was checking the installation log, it have some cp problems related to directory init.d.

11. Af777M

Af777M Bit poster

I'm having trouble getting the code correct for the symlink, could someone help me out with the correct way of typing this in? I'm new to this stuff :s

12. paraNix

paraNix Member

Gnome3 in coherence?

has anyone gotten GNOME3 to work in coherence mode in PD7?

13. JEarles

JEarles Hunter

No. Unfortunately Coherence requires "no visual effects", so you have to use fallback mode or Classic mode (with no visual effects).

http://kb.parallels.com/en/111510

14. paraNix

paraNix Member