No text on buttons

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Filemon S, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Filemon S

Filemon S Bit poster

Hi,

I decided to buy parallels so I went and downloaded it and installed it but for some reason it doesn't show text on some buttons. The funny thing is that this only happens on my main user account because if I go and run it on a different user account (a new user account) everything looks fine, see screen shots.

Screen Shots:
    Main User Account
    http://skitch.com/fstigre/g6ag4/parallels-wizard

New User Account
    http://skitch.com/fstigre/g6ag9/parallels-wizard

Any idea what could be causing this problem? I really want to continue using my existing account.

Thanks a lot

2. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There seems to be some issue with that specific font used by the Parallels GUI. Font cache might be corrupted.

3. Filemon S

Filemon S Bit poster

Thank you for your reply!

I ran this command "atsutil databases -removeUser" to clear the font cache but no luck. I also ran a program called FontDoctor to get a font diagnose and I got a message that says "Bitmap Fonts Missing a Required PostScript Font".

Could this be the problem?

FontDoctor only makes a diagnose for free but if I want to fix the actual problem I need to buy the program which is $69 dollars and I wouldn't mind to buy it if I would known that this was going to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. RickKr

RickKr Junior Member

Same here

I'm having the same problem. I also received it when I installed VirtualBox, but no problems with VMware. Anyone have any ideas?

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

No need to spend money on this. If it works on another account then maybe you could try migrate your data to a new account (with the same privileges) and if everything is fine, delete the old one. Something is corrupt.

RickKr: If this (exact) problem doesn't occur VirtualBox it's because it doesn't use the same font. Try the command Filemon S posted to clear the font cache.

6. RickKr

RickKr Junior Member

Thanks, what I meant was: I was also having the same problem in VirtualBox. VMware was fine. I tried "atsutil databases -removeUser" and still had the problem. However, I ran it again and did a restart, and everything seems perfect now. I guess the restart is what did it. I did however run it as a super user command the 2nd time. So I did:

"sudo atsutil databases -removeUser"
    Then restart.

I don't think the sudo was necessary, I think it was the restart. Either way, thanks everyone! It works now!