Can Windows Guest OS use Mac Host VPN connection?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by tmcbride67, Jan 13, 2012.

1. tmcbride67

tmcbride67 Bit poster

I am currently running Windows XP SP3 as the guest OS on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.6.7. I am running Parallels Build 7.0.15054. I can successfully use VPN Tracker v6 to remotely connect the host Mac OS to our network. I have the Parallels virtual machine set to use shared networking.

The problem I am running into is that when I am VPN'd in on the host Mac OS, I can not access any network resources from the guest Windows XP virtual machine. When I try to use any Windows Active Directory management tools, I get an error that the specified domain can not be contacted. If I try to ping any network resources from the virtual Windows box, either by fully qualified domain name or by IP address, I get the error that the destination host is unreachable. Everything works fine from the host Mac OS.

Any suggestions? Should the Windows OS be able to reach resources on the remote network if I am VPN'd in from the host Mac OS and I have the virtual machine's network settings set to shared network?

Do I need to install and run a separate VPN client on the guest Windows OS for this to work?

2. tmcbride67

tmcbride67 Bit poster

Bump

Has anyone had any experience trying to get the guest Windows OS to connect over the host Mac's VPN connection?

3. think

think Bit poster

I have had that configuration running for ~2 years without any issue.

I run a Juniper VPN client on the MacOS host (SL 10.6.8) and several XP guests on Parallels 6. The XP guests have always had "pass-thru" access of the VPN connection.

I have now built a Win7 64 guest that is unable to access the VPN connectivity the way that the XP vm's can.

I'm thinking that I might need to update to the latest version of Parallels 6 and give it another go as I can't find any shared network settings that have any impact on the situation.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. Joe Zhang

Joe Zhang Bit poster

My question is on the contrary:

I have Guest OS on Parallels 8. I have Cisco AnyConnect (VPN 1) on Host Mac OS X Lion and another Cisco AnyConnect (VPN 2) on Guest OS Win XP.

I connect to two different VPNs: VPN 1 in Host Mac OS X, VPN 2 in GUest XP Os

My Guest OS can access both VPN 1 and VPN 2.
    My Host OS can only access VPN 1.

Is there a way to make my host OS (Mac OS) access the Guest OS VPN (VPN 2)?

Thanks.