Parallels 3.0

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by veggiedude, May 31, 2007.

1. biglar

biglar Pro

Sorry for my spelling. I mean whiners.

2. Dave Ruske

Dave Ruske Junior Member

I'll second that. It's one thing to raise support issues on the forum, but Parallel's upgrade price for the work that's gone into it sounds like a bargain to me. I've paid that much for utilities and even games that are essentially useless by comparison. Even at thrice the price, Parallels is certainly cheaper and more efficient than having to drag around a second Windows-only laptop.

3. morwen

morwen Member

New e-seller makes it hard to buy product!

So, I went thru more trouble this morning trying to purchase my upgrade. My US banks do not seem to like your eseller in Germany. :) I went to the site last night and ordered the upgrade. My credit card company just flat out denied the charge, didn't even bother to contact me to confirm I made it. So element5 sent me an email with a link to try a different card.

This morning I used my Chase Amazon card, and it popped up the Verified by VISA thingie at the end of the online sale and let me verify, so I thought everything was cool. Not even an hour later I get a call from VISA fraud protection all worked up that a $39.99 internet charge from Germany was trying to get put on my card.

They informed me they had refused it (I pointed out to her that they had Verified by VISA and she seemed surprised the charge was flagged in that case). So she said the seller will probably recharge it and they'll let it go through this time. But now I have to sit and wait to make sure it goes thru this time. I can't even call element5 to let them know what happened cause they are in Germany. :(

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

I got the mail late yesterday and see they did indeed call it an upgrade and not a new release. That is going to create some problems for them, particularly given how buggy 3188 is for many people.

5. volcs0

volcs0 Junior Member

I bought back in August during the original promotion ($40). I looked through my emails - how can I tell if I was part of a similar promotion? I assume not, and I don't really mind paying the upgrade. But if by chance I bought into "free upgrades for a year", I'd like to know about it. Any way to tell?

6. kendals

kendals Bit poster

this is a great product, and I for one am glad they are doing the major upgrades, and I don't mind paying for the upgrade. This program is the sole reason that I was able to *FINALLY* switch my parents from Windows to a Mac. They have 1 program that is windows only and a VPC / G5 solution didn't cut it for them.

7. John Purins

John Purins Member

I agree with what you say but also understand the end user's point of view.

The vast majority of users are not programmers and haven't the slightest idea as to what is involved in creating a 'Hello World' dialog box, let alone an emulator.

They paid for a product and that product has problems so why pay again?

I started programming when the software industry couldn't be really called an 'industry'... it was IBM. IBM sold or leased you the hardware, charged you monthly for the OS and development environment and then billed you monthly for bug fixes and all sorts of fees. IBM was a very innovative company then and still is today.

Just to put it into perspective, MVS VM (an IBM mainframe virtual operating system) cost around $2000.00 per month (in 1970's dollars) to license. VTAM (networking), CICS (online development environment) and JES (batch job system) were not included but were required to do anything with your VM. Each had monthly fees.

Now, $50.00 for a Parallels upgrade is not so bad, is it?

If not, then you do have all the necessary tools to write your own emulator on the retail Mac OS X 10.4 DVD

8. bobbyt

bobbyt Hunter

It seems interesting that users who do qualify for a free upgrade will "be sent their free upgrade keys within one week of Parallels Desktop for Mac general availability."

This means thoes who do qualify (but may not know it) won't get their codes until after the reduced price upgrade deal is over (as it ends June 6th).

So you can either assume you do qualify, but learn you really don't (what is a maintenence customer?), or assume you don't qualify and pay the upgrade, but then learn after you do that you did in fact qualify for a free upgrade...

This situation seems a little too purpusefully misleading in both directions...

9. davidaf

davidaf Junior Member

Will paypal work? I only have one credit card that seems to work for international purchases.

10. twynne

twynne Hunter

Yes, they accept Paypal - and it gets you around the questionable currency conversions.

11. macgeek21

macgeek21 Junior Member

Ibm is an innovative company today? uh how do you arrive at that when they have sold their computer and hard drive manufaturing to hitachi and lenovo? what is it that ibm does anymore seriously? i second the fact that you people(the whiners) have absolutly no idea what it takes to create a program like this the fact that it even works at all is a mircale and you should be kissing their feet for the fact that they are not chargeing four hundred dollars for this program.

12. rkadowns

rkadowns Junior Member

Hmmm.

I just dug up an email that states the same thing. I've already paid via PalPal for the upgrade however I'm going to try and stop that payment. Wouldn't you know it that for whatever reason PayPal seems to be down.:mad:

13. sgruby

sgruby Bit poster

I tried to make the purchase through PayPal and PayPal locked my account because they suspected fraud. I'm still trying to get my PayPal access back; I ended up using a different credit card and it went through; so far it hasn't flagged my credit card.

Parallels, please, oh please, use a US processor for credit cards.

Oh and on the invoice, this scared me:

Parallels Software International, Inc.
    49 Main Street, PO Box 186, Road Town
    Tortola
    Virgin Islands (British)

14. John Purins

John Purins Member

The fact that they sold various portions of their manufacturing business really has no bearing on whether they are innovative or not. IBM invented hard drives in the first place.

Their list of patents and inventions includes microprocessors, computer memory, laser printing and the list goes on and on. Just look at what they are doing in silicon chip circuitry, chemical computers, photon computers and organic computers.

They do a tremendous amount of research. I don't know if you've ever seen the photograph of how they arranged atoms to spell out 'IBM' but they did it!

Look into the history of the company... you'll be amazed by what you find.

15. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Hey MacGeek21,
    Um, sorry dude but I take exception to your comment about IBM and innovation. I happen to work there and I think you have absoluteoy no idea what you're talking about in relation to IBM my friend. Just posing the question "what do they do seriously anymore" shows a massive lack of information on your part. IBM's core business wasn't laptops and hard drives bro, it never has been. IBM's research facilities and laboratories are among the finest most well respected in the world, PERIOD!
    You see IBM from the outside selling off pieces of business that aren't profitable or core to their revenue. If you take a look at the chip industry you won't find any greater innovator. Take cell processor technology for example. Look at the corporate world of software architecture and you won't find any bigger innovator than IBM, ever heard of SOA (Service Oriented Achitecture) well its IBM and they are by far and away the industry leaders in this area. Look at Enterprise Service Buses (ESB) and messaging technology, who's the leader? Take a Guess...I don't any single company can boast more patents than IBM and they encourage employees to stretch beyond current bounds.
    Look at data centers, no bigger innovator in the world than IBM, Look at storage like database, no larger innovator in the world, I could go on and on and on.
    Making a blanket statement like you did was just plain, ok well I'll be polite, it was said because you lack either the knowledge or experience to know what you're talking about.
    Do some research before you make statements like that, you make yourself look foolish.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  16. PrinceZordar

PrinceZordar Member

I don't recall seeing anything about "Upgrade Protection." Just an option for being able to download the package for a year.

17. Toots Mutant

Toots Mutant Bit poster

It isn't their claim that the new version is better that bothers me. What kinda bothers me is that they can't even proof read their own darn advertising page.

18. twynne

twynne Hunter

3.0 Release Candidate - where?

Don't know if anyone has seen this:

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/06/01.11.shtml

but it implies that there is a download somewhere and the 'private beta' has ended. I can't find a link from any download or purchase page. I've bought the new version already and would love to test it out. Does anyone know more?

Thanks,

Tom

19. bombastinator

bombastinator Member

evidence 3.0 will run directX 9.0

I got this email from novasoft which points to a partial list of games known to run on 3.0

http://www.novadevelopment.com/parallels/upgrade_3/games.aspx

Keep in mind this is from http://www.novadevelopment.com/ who spammed me claiming to use an official parallels email list. I don't know if there is a real company relationship between it and swsoft so it could be total crud. They are apparently a publisher though so it may be legit.

Quake 4
    English version of Windows 2000/XP
    Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or Athlon XP 2000+ Processor
    512MB RAM
    8x speed CD-ROM drive and latest drivers
    2.8GB uncompressed hard-drive space, plus 400MB for Windows swap file
    100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 16-bit sound card and latest drivers
    100% Windows 2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and latest drivers
    DirectX 9.0c included
    3D Hardware Accelerator Card required
    100% DirectX 9.0c compatible 64MB
    Hardware Accelerated video card and the latest drivers

ATI Radeon 9700
    ATI Radeon X300 Series
    ATI Radeon X550 Series
    ATI Radeon X600 Series
    ATI Radeon X700 Series
    ATI Radeon X800 Series
    ATI Radeon X850 Series
    NVIDIA GeForce 3/Ti Series
    NVIDIA GeForce 4/Ti Series
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Series
    NVIDIA GeForce 6 Series
    NVIDIA GeForce 7 Series

Call of Duty (1 not 2)
    * 3D Hardware Accelerator Card required – 100% DirectX® 9.0a compatible 32MB Hardware T&L-capable video card and drivers*
    * Pentium® III 700 or Athlon™processor or higher
    * English version of Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
    * 128MB of RAM
    * 8x Speed CD-ROM drive (1200KB/sec sustained transfer rate) and drivers
    * 181MB of uncompressed free hard disk space (plus 200MB for Windows swap file)
    * 100% DirectX® 9.0a compatible 16 bit sound card and drivers
    * 100% Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP compatible mouse, keyboard and drivers
    * DirectX® 9.0a (not included)

Aero fly pro
    Minimum System Requirement:
    Microprocessor Class: 100% Pentium III or AMD Athlon/64
    RAM Memory Needed: 128 MB
    Hard Drive Space Needed: 1 GB
    Hardware Needed: CD-ROM drive
    Graphics Hardware: OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 64 MB
    Sound Hardware: 100% DirectX compatible sound card
    Operating System: Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP w/DirectX v. 9.0b or higher

Alien arena 2007
    1 ghz
    "3d accelerator"(any?)

20. BenInBlack

BenInBlack Pro

Need link for pre-order

I fall into this group, I looked on site, does anyone have a link to do this pre-order of 3.0

NVM, I found it
    http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/upgrade

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007