My Windows 7 VM Will Not Boot

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JEffreyhy, Jan 16, 2012.

1. JEffreyhy

JEffreyhy Junior Member

My Windows 7 VM will not boot any longer. It gets as far as:
    SCSI controller is not installed.
    Network bootrom is installed.
    Trying to boot from SATA drive 1...

And there it sits.

Mac OS Lion
    Parallels 6 Build 6.0.12106 (Revision 692267; September 7, 2011)

The last thing that was going on when I was running the VM is that I was downloading some MS updates to install. It became unresponsive partway through the download and I force quit Parallels. Not sure if "it" was Windows or Parallels, but I was not able pause or quit the download, or exit or kill Windows, the only level at which I could get out was to force quit Parallels.

When trying to re-start my VM I've tried both clicking on the VM directly and starting Parallels then selecting the VM. Either way the stopping point is the same.

At one point I got a message that Parallels tools are not installed. They are, or were, but maybe have been damaged? Anyway, I cannot re-install. I can select Virtual Machine>Reinstall Parallels Tools but nothing happens.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. JEffreyhy

JEffreyhy Junior Member

Decided to take the 'brute force' approach and create a new Windows 7 VM from scratch (again - getting pretty good at that part) - rather than try to repair the old one. Fortunately, I use Windows for less than a handful of applications and I've got a recent backup of the data files and documents that go with them.

Carry on.

3. YanaYana

YanaYana

4. TheNathan187

TheNathan187 Junior Member

In fact, that does not work. Guys, trust me. That does not work.

A canned response that is a result of no testing such situation.

5. YanaYana

YanaYana

Well, it depends. I used to refer to Windows repair a lot of times while Technical Support practice - and it was really helpful. Simple repair or manual "chkdsk /f"