Wireless Network Issue Making me CRAZY!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by orbison, Jun 1, 2007.

1. orbison

orbison Junior Member

Okay... I've installed, re-installed... all of that jazz. (newest version... not 3.0)

I can't get XP onto my wireless network... the MacBook is connecting fine, using Airport. This is what I've tried thus far (aside from re-installing, which I've also done):

1) In Network Prefereces - on Mac - I've got green lights next to "Ethernet Adaptor (en2)" and "Ethernet Adapter (en3)". When I change "Location" (at top) to "Automatic" (I choose my Network Name below that)... I get Parallels Host-Guess (in Show) and also Parallels NAT.

2) In OS X Preferences / Sharing / Internet I've currently got Inertnet Sharing "On" sharing Airport Connection, with the following ports on: Built-In Ethernet / Built-In Firewire / Ethernet Adapter (en2) -- (en3 is NOT checked). (Firewall is On... only the last 3 are highlighted blue, iTunes, iPhoto and Network Time..... Under Services, only "Remote Apple Events" and "Printer Sharing" are checked.)

3) In Parallels Configuration I make sure that I am using "Shared Networking" (Network Adapter 1).

I've tried a billion different ways, it seems, yet I CAN'T GET CONNECTED IN XP!

It's driving me a little nuts, if you can't tell. Please help. Thanks.

2. orbison

orbison Junior Member

Please help.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Try "bridged networking" without changing anything else.

4. orbison

orbison Junior Member

Yeah, I've tried that too.

5. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

lets get some simple details...

in sysprefs, do the Parallels interfaces show as having IP addresses ? what are they ?

when you boot windows, what IP address does windows say it has ?

what is the ip address range in use on your LAN ?

6. orbison

orbison Junior Member

I don't have the laptop with me right now... so, I will look into this and answer you soon.

However, I do know that when I look at XP's Control Panel > Networking (to see different networks) that this window won't open. It hangs up. When it DOES open, it is blank. Like there are no networks there. On my iMac (running Parallels) I don't have this problem. I can see the network there. Maybe that is a clue?

Thanks for helping me on this issue. I will get you specific answers as soon as I can.

7. orbison

orbison Junior Member

Here are the Parallels interface IP addresses in Sysprefs:
    Parallels Host-Guest IP Address: 169.254.85.176
    Parallels NAP IP Address: 10.211.55.2

The Windows XP, the I used ipconfig command (in Command Prompt)... however, I got the following error:

ipconfig.exe-Bad Image

The application or DLL:/Windows/system32/DHCPSVC.DLL is not a valid image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

Regarding the "ip address range" in use on my LAN -- I'm not sure how to find that info. However, it does appear that the error is in the "not a valid image" error. I'm just not sure what to do to fix it. Any suggestions?

8. orbison

orbison Junior Member

Any ideas... anyone... please???

9. VTMac

VTMac Pro

It sounds like you have a corrupted system dll. I suspect reinstalling that Windows system dll will solve your problem.

10. GeezerGeek

GeezerGeek Bit poster

I agree with VTMac - something is borked in your system when you get "Invalid image" on ipconfig. However in your first post there are a couple of things that I noticed.

2) "Inertnet Sharing "On" sharing Airport Connection" - this is wrong. You want Internet Sharing to be OFF. Otherwise you have both your Mac and Parallels trying to be a DHCP server for the virtual machine, and you'll get what you got.

3) "Shared networking" means that Parallels is using the Mac's connection to get to the Internet. That's fine if you only need Internet access, but if you want to access other machines on the local network you should use "Bridged networking." In that mode your VM will get its IP from the local router, and will appear on the local network like a freestanding computer.

11. orbison

orbison Junior Member

May be a dumb question... but I don't know how to reinstall system dll?

I've done a search on Google -- but I'm not getting anything that seems useful to me.

Thanks.

12. kerapolis

kerapolis Bit poster

I hope you guys aren't suggesting reinstalling Windows. That would be a huge pain, as I've got my client's Windows installation set up for his office and that would waste hours of work...

The issue you're having has nothing to do on with something suggested on another thread about connectivity: apparently, there's an internet icon somehwere at the top of the Parallels interface, and you have to enable wireless vs. wired connections?

I'm dealing with this same problem now, obviously, so if you get anywhere on it, I'd be much obliged for your information....

13. VTMac

VTMac Pro

Unless windows is reporting bad error messages, it's pretty clear you have a corrupted system DLL. You should be able to extract that single file from your install disk or the last service pack you installed. I can't remember the tool that does this on windows, but I'm sure you can google it.

14. ATXP

ATXP Member

Do you have MAC Address Access Control? Parallels does assign a MAC ID. Check on that.