Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RandyBr, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Weavsnake

Weavsnake Bit poster

Same Problem

Was driving my self crazy trying to get the mouse to work. Must have reinstalled Parallels Tools 15 times. It will probably take a few weeks for a fix I would think.

2. Tony Linde

Tony Linde Member

Thanks for the update. Also #fail here but now will try it again.

3. Khoji

Khoji Member

Even when you get the mouse working it's pretty buggy. It crashes and spontaneously reboots on me quite a lot, and there are a lot of mouse problems. Will probably have to wait for a fix...

4. jjfcpa@mindspring.com

jjfcpa@mindspring.com Member

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The VBox Guest Additions for Windows don't work in Win8, so, if you want to have the 'user experience' as VBox on Parallels, just uninstall Parallels Tools.

6. brobesky

brobesky Bit poster

how i made it work...

I trashed my 1st and 2nd Parallels Desktop 7 installs of Windows 8 Preview. I then did a 3rd install and unchecked the two checked boxes.

After this install completed, the mouse works and Adminstrator is no longer in charge.

I did not install Parallels Tools and will wait to install them until I hear there is a fix.

Now to write a program that emulates the Start button.

HTH,

Bob

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

*sigh*
    Parallels Tools work fine except for Smart Mouse, just disable that.

8. brobesky

brobesky Bit poster

Oh, yeah, I forgot to *sigh*

I tried your suggestion on the 2nd install.

But, *sigh*, my install works better the way it is.

Sorry, if this offends you. Err, no I'm not.

*sigh*

Bob

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Your loss if you fail to get it working, your failure, certainly not mine. :)

10. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Bit poster

This is what worked for me...

combination of:
    1. Manual installation to avoid the Administrator account issue as suggested by DennyA and EmanualM.
    2. Disabling Smart Mouse as suggested by RandyBr and others.
    3. Resetting the any other screen resolution other than the default as suggested by CMH@HeartPlace.

I now have a fully functioning install, with the only issue being having to manually release the mouse and keyboard.

Thank you to all who consistently post helpful and constructive information!

11. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Bit poster

Simple solution to get cursor visible in non Admin account - resize the window. This forces a screen resize in Windows and the cursor magically appears.

I also noted under Device settings for the mouse that it says there is an error with the parallels mouse driver.

12. RodneyW

RodneyW Junior Member

I got it to work by doing the web install into an existing Vista VM instead of downloading an ISO. I'm running Parallels 7.0.15054 and Lion 10.7.3 on a Mac Pro.

I used the Vista VM to download the installer. Then, during the installation process I was asked if I wanted to keep my apps and user data, keep user data only, or keep nothing. I chose to keep nothing. You need at least 16GB free in the VM in order to do the install. The installation ran to completion, and the only problems I had were with the time and with screen resolution. Both were easily fixed.

I did not try to reinstall Parallels Tools. I normally run my VMs in their own Space in full screen mode, and getting into and out of the VM window isn't a problem.

I did download an ISO, and I'm going to try using it to create a VM to see what the difference will be.

13. 87racer

87racer Member

If you just update the driver that "cannot start" back to a "HID-compliant mouse" by manually choosing a driver it works perfectly. Leaving Smart Mouse on and moving in and out of the virtual machine works and I have not experienced any lag or bugginess so far on my MBA.

14. AndrewC55

AndrewC55 Junior Member

Import settings

Is there any way to import settings from developer preview to consumer preview I also solved mouse problem in part as I have a Logitech mouse and installed driver for it seem to be alot better still crash alot on me though but couldn't import settings

15. WilliamPaul

WilliamPaul Member

This is a good question,In fact I too want to know how to import settings from developer preview to consumer preview

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Have you tried upgrading the dev preview or the windows transfer assistant (or similar name)?

17. MrkF

MrkF Bit poster

18. e_l_green

e_l_green Bit poster

Just verified that latest Parallels build released today gets rid of the Parallels Tools glitches with Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Now the only glitches are those built into Windows 8 -- *four* hot corners? BC Bud. Just sayin' ;).

19. imacken

imacken Hunter

Yes, well done to the Parallels team. Works in Windows 8 and Mountain Lion now!

20. The Patcher

The Patcher Bit poster

Nice :)
    With the latest update all issues with crashes and mouse in Windows 8 CP are gone.
    Good work!!!